C280 Single Wiper problem...and how I fixed mine. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking C280 Single Wiper problem...and how I fixed mine.

About a week ago I started to notice a progressively worsening hesitation on the wiper cycle on my 2000 c280. Murphy's Law kicked in as a severe thunder storm developed, and wiper stopped working completely (I now see it as punishment for car-neglect).

Anyway I digress. I searched on the intertubes and found this forum and its many posts of people with the same problem. It was bittersweet seeing so many people with the same problem. I saw solutions ranging from re-lubing parts (202Tech - Hesitating Wiper Fix) to a total replacement of the wiper motor/transmission assembly, and I also saw that Merc dealership would fix it for a messily 1200 dollar (HOLY SH!T!). So empowered with the drive not to get boned by the dealership I set to work.

I figured since the wiper had totally quit moving, this wasn't going to be a simple lube-job. Instead I assumed it was the stripped gear problem. I started with trying to remove the wiper arm....and after lots of head scratching I decided i didn't have proper engineering degree to successfully disessmble the arm housing. Accepting defeat, I started on the removing the "air-dam" plastic (10 phillips screws, 2 10mm bolts). With the plastic out of the way, I had easy access to the motor/transmission, and all the nuts and bolts securing the assembly to the car. I removed the top cover of the transmission (six t20 torx screws) to get access to the infamous gear, and it was, to my surprise/elation/confusion, in pristine condition..... After further investigation I noticed the linkage was no longer connected to the transmission. I removed the entire wiper assembly with the arm still attached (1- 10mm bolt, 2-10mm nuts, 1 rubber gromit). Once the assembly was out of the car, I see it was missing the 13mm nut that connects the linkage to the transmission. Before heading out to the hardware/automotive store, I looked down into the recesses below where the assemble sits and found the bolt (WOOT!!). I refastened the bolt with some lock-tight, reassembled everything, and it works like a dream. FYI...i still do not know how remove the wiper arm.

Sorry for being so long winded. Hope this helps some one.
fulltilt likes this.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Originally Posted by slindsey View Post
FYI...i still do not know how remove the wiper arm.
Welcome to the forum. Probably better if you had posted this interesting tale in the W202 forum. Please add your details using the UserCP ^^^

Regarding removing the wiper arm, it is simple. See drawing below:

a) Pull off cover (1)
b) Unscrew hex socket screw (3)
c) Pull off wiper arm (2)
Note: hold wiper arm at attachment to prevent it striking the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W202 wiper.jpg
Views:	2209
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	289047  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I posted a link to this message on W202 board but feel free to repost the whole thing if you wish. It seems like a clever, relatively simple and cheap fix for what is a common issue on these cars.

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1995 c280
I have a question.... does anyone know why a whiper goes to the right comes back to the bottom of the window on the left side and goes about 15cm up and stops there if you take the keys out move it down to where it should be and put the keys back in it goes back up ( 15 cm) ....sorry for the explanation if you guys didn't understand i might be able to take a picture ....

1995 c280 118k Miles
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1998 C280

The motor moves in a continuous direction, it does not go back and forth. The output shaft of the motor drives the mechanism that cause your wiper to go from side-to-side and up-and-down. The output shaft of this motor has a sensor that tells the motor controller where the "park" position is. Since the output shaft is directly connected to the wiper mechanism, and thus the wiper itself, it is this relationship between the motor shaft and the wiper mechanism that decide where exactly your wiper stops.

Under no circumstances should you ever push or pull or in any way force your wiper. You WILL damage a plastic gear inside your motor which is already a common problem. You're just setting yourself up for having to deal with it sooner. This is a $700 fix at a dealer, OR you could do it yourself for about $100 and 2 hours of your time. Check the links below for more help! Good luck!

PS - there's plenty of info on your C280 in the W202 discussion group. The general group is not for car-specific questions.

I started my search here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...m-answers.html

I then posted my own solution here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...placement.html
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: