Serpentine, Washer Resivoir OEM Parts ordered online just as good dealer brought??? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2006 - CLK 350 (coupe)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oh wow....now that's scary. How long did it take for that fule pump failure to happen on your Camry after the part was installed?

I am going to do my research and get the part number just in case (Mercedes told me the part number before.

Thanks again, will keep this thread updated with what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikmann View Post
I have never bought anything for the MB from NAPA but I had a horrible experience with 2 of their power steering pumps for my Camry. I recently had a fuel pump failure in my Acclaim and they sell an OEM Bosch pump for my car. It seems that their preferred brand of those is Delphi and that's what I ended up with because the tech ordered what they had in stock at the local store.

One place I know of that claims to sell OE MB parts is CarQuest. The guy here let me see his screen when he pulled up my car and there were several filters, etc. that popped up. I haven't used anything of theirs either.

As Kajtek1 suggested, Autohausaz.com has been highly recommended by several people on here. And to answer your question about part numbers, there have been a couple complaints that the Autohaus parts catalog has some errors so I'd double check those before ordering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes_Maniac View Post
Oh wow....now that's scary. How long did it take for that fule pump failure to happen on your Camry after the part was installed?...
The fuel pump was on the Plymouth and it is still working fine. It's been in since the week after Thanksgiving.

On the Camry the 1st power steering pump failed after about a month. The 2nd one they put in failed on them in 5 minutes. What I don't know is which pump the 3rd is. The shop foreman thinks they finally ordered a Toyota pump and I paid the difference. I was never charged any more so I still think I'm on my 3rd NAPA pump. Or, maybe they ordered a OEM pump and ate the difference? Pretty unlikely if you ask me. The reason I went with NAPA in the first place was the Toyota pump cost about $1000 (brand new, no rebuilt ones were available) and they advised me to go with the NAPA one which was about $250.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 02-04-2010 at 06:14 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh man.....what a story. Failing in 5 minutes....that's remarkable. I'm glad that this was able to be proven. I also hope that the new pump doesn't give you any issues.

Interesting that Toyota advised you to go there......oyyyyy.

Quote:
The fuel pump was on the Plymouth and it is still working fine. It's been in since the week after Thanksgiving.

On the Camry the 1st power steering pump failed after about a month. The 2nd one they put in failed on them in 5 minutes. What I don't know is which pump the 3rd is. The shop foreman thinks they finally ordered a Toyota pump and I paid the difference. I was never charged any more so I still think I'm on my 3rd NAPA pump. Or, maybe they ordered a OEM pump and ate the difference? Pretty unlikely if you ask me. The reason I went with NAPA in the first place was the Toyota pump cost about $1000 (brand new, no rebuilt ones were available) and they advised me to go with the NAPA one.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes_Maniac View Post
Oh man.....what a story. Failing in 5 minutes....that's remarkable. I'm glad that this was able to be proven. I also hope that the new pump doesn't give you any issues. Interesting that Toyota advised you to go there......oyyyyy.
Yeah that was by far my worst car repair nightmare. I think they had good luck with previous NAPA power steering pumps but they told me they no longer order them from there; maybe other things but not those. Locally we have AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts and CarQuest so there are at least 3 other sources for aftermarket parts.

Oh, and get this: the last time we discussed this they told me NAPA never paid them for the labor to install the 2nd and 3rd pumps!

Thanks for the sympathy my friend.

Last edited by Musikmann; 02-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, and get this: the last time we discussed this they told me NAPA never paid them for the labor to install the 2nd and 3rd pumps!
That would be extension of other topic about bringing your own parts to shops.
Would be that you MM who bought the pump in NAPA and brought it to the shop -legally you would be on the hook for the bills.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:29 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Smile

The only things that were acceptable were some tools I purchased from NAPA. In general their stock is so so, though the prices are high for the low quality. I only used them for Sunday emergencies when other shops were not open or did not have what I needed.

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
That would be extension of other topic about bringing your own parts to shops. Would be that you MM who bought the pump in NAPA and brought it to the shop -legally you would be on the hook for the bills.
Good point Kajtek1 and a very good reason for us to not buy a part and then expect someone to install it. So I guess in light of all this, it's worth it to let the shop make their profit on the part as long as the labor guarantee comes with that.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Now...this is interesting.

Musikmann, I hope you NEVER have to stress about a failure like that again....

But guess what I did ???????

I called Mercedes a week ago and took down the part number, have been looking for that part number since. So I just found it and went to Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips typed the part number in an voila! Found it and the brand name of the belt is CRP-Contitech. Oddly enough I kept hearing people talking about. Because I know that Continental Tires are the stock tires on Mercedes and so I google like a mad scientist ooooh by chance CRP-Contitech is also made my Continental.

The price I was quoted from Mercedes is about $50 - $60 more than I found on the website. As long it's the same brand I am content and my car won't cry to me

Now...time to hunt for the Washer Reservoir

Thanks guys!!!!

Quote:
Yeah that was by far my worst car repair nightmare. I think they had good luck with previous NAPA power steering pumps but they told me they no longer order them from there; maybe other things but not those. Locally we have AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts and CarQuest so there are at least 3 other sources for aftermarket parts.

Thanks for the sympathy my friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post

Last edited by Mercedes_Maniac; 02-05-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in