BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2009 E350 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Driving from time to time tips

Dear All
I got the question. Lately I have trans fix on my 1994 E420 from this point I have to admit I dont drive the Benz as often as before since we share ride to work with my wife in her car. Today I took E420 for a spin everything fine (what a pleasure comparing to compact jap car) and suddenly after about 3 miles or so driving 30-40mph engine start idling rough and acting up. Felt like not all 8 spark plugs fired up, lack of power and sudden power kick (I guess they fired at that point). I park the car let it run for 10 min everythings fine. No problem driving back home smooth shifting etc. I drive Benz onec a week now to kind of move it back and forth. So my question is how often to drive my tank? I can see answers already "all the time" I promise I will drive more often now since it looks Benz dont like me driving other car. What to do to prevent any damage or problems if car is not driven so often? I will appreciate any reply. I plan to drive Benz now for groceries and after work so it doesnt get so upset and jealous. If I will be older seeing somebody else riding younger one I guess I will be same way LOL

P.S my plan is to fix this car completly - not too many issues, and enjoy the ride more often.

Thanks in advance, the best forum ever
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a similar situation, except I have an R129 that has become my daily driver and the W220 is the garage queen. I make a point of driving the W220 at least 20 miles at moderate to highway speeds at least once a week. Twenty miles--not 20 minutes. Around town doesn't count. That gets everything to operating temperature, runs the transmission through all the gears, empties and refills the induction system several times, heats the cats thoroughly, cycles the airmatic, and so on. I also keep the gas tank about 1/4-1/2 full and I put fresh gas in every couple of weeks so the mix doesn't get old.

After that, I make sure I do a sustained drive at interstate speeds once a month or so.

The key is to get all the fluids hot and get all the metal the fluids lubricate and cool hot too. Driving around town all day isn't as good as 10 or 15 miles at highway speeds.

Good luck keeping the old girl in top form.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 11:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Common question between rv owners.
How about "Climb out and close the door"?
When I park my diesel motorhome the only thing I do is disconnect the batteries and charge them twice a year (have dry storage, so maintainers are not an option).
Last year I was busy with other activities, so my motorhome was not fired up for 363 days.
After hooking up charged batteries it fired up on first turn, so I drove away.
Gasoline has shorter shelf life, but I've been running my boat on 2 years old stuff.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: