post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exiting ebay find

I usually don't post stuff like that, but this really got my attention.
My favorite body style MB with economical workhorse 300 diesel.
I know the 82 or so HP will not make it a rocket, but would I look for extra car and live closer I would jump on it.
Heck fix the headliner, put seat covers and you have very reliable and economical chick magnet for next 25 years.
Heck the wheels alone are worth starting price
Mercedes-Benz : 500-Series : eBay Motors (item 180459736723 end time Jan-28-10 18:17:35 PST)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 1992 300CE, Engine M104, (2002 E320 4matic Wagon—Retired)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting find. It is a chick magnet already. Did you see the chick stuck on it on the first image?

I have to ask "why?" Why would anyone take a "muscle car" and put a 300d engine in it. That is hard to understand. They have practically turned this thing into a "Civic CX." The economy will be great, but why, why, why?

Pure gold:

Also, you must remember that this is a classic +/-21 year old vehicle, and while it is up to you, I do not recommend that you just “hop in and drive it across the country”. At least, I have never done that. I have always professionally transported the cars from where I bought them to my home.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Travesty.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delikanli View Post
Interesting find. It is a chick magnet already. Did you see the chick stuck on it on the first image?

I have to ask "why?" Why would anyone take a "muscle car" and put a 300d engine in it. That is hard to understand. They have practically turned this thing into a "Civic CX." The economy will be great, but why, why, why?

Pure gold:

Also, you must remember that this is a classic +/-21 year old vehicle, and while it is up to you, I do not recommend that you just “hop in and drive it across the country”. At least, I have never done that. I have always professionally transported the cars from where I bought them to my home.
Being of Slovenian race, I like women with nice curve at the waist lane. This one is more like a potatoes sack to me.
I do see lot of sense in such arrangement. The original engine while it was gas hog, evidently didn't last. This way you can have 2 best of MB. Hot body and reliable, economical workhorse.
Than I strongly believe that the 300d engine was much easier to find than 560.
The first MB I bought over a decade ago was 300tdt with 220k on it. The engine was perfect, but transmission hesitated on gear change. I had no problem to fly there and drive it home 2200 miles. Turned out the transmission was common issue and didn't affect the performance otherwise.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Sadly I'm with the others. This car seems to have been ruined by the engine swap, who knows the quality of the job. I have nightmares about cars like this, someone paints up an old engine and makes it out to be something special when in reality the car is missing at least a dozen odds bits on the exterior trim and interior and looks poorly cared for. I'd bet it was one of those jobs where someone had access to an engine and tossed it in to make the car usable after the original one had some problem and they didn't want to spend the money to fix it properly. Maybe it's right for someone, but not me.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:03 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why exactly would someone think it was a good idea to put that kind of money into this car? The engine job could have exceeded the value of the car and it didn't really add any value to it. The interior is an absolute mess and the exterior doesn't look too hot either.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure I'd be doing the "Crippled Coyote" the morning after with a woman who thought a diesel SEC was sexy. It's like putting Uma Thurman in granny panties.

Now that I think about it, she'd look just fine in granny panties.

Sorry, what were we talking about?

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:03 PM
BenzWorld Member

Uma thurman in granny panties is still hot (and distracts from discussing cars).

Well, now there seems to be a video posted as well. You can hear the sound of the diesel engine mixing with michael jackson's "Beat it" and if you make it past that, there is an R&B soundtrack with zooms to photos. You just see it drive around the parking lot. I have a feeling that this might fall apart at highway speeds...

I have also found some of this language fascinating:
I think this car has very real concourse potential and, to some, probably already meets this standard. But, as the definition of “concourse” can be very subjective, I will err on the side of conservatism and declare this a 8 out of 10 car.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
I have very high confidence in MB diesels, so on the part of Mercedes enthusiasts I take some of the above as an insult
Than being multilingual (English is my 3rd learned, although become 2nd used) I have a hobby of recognizing the accents. Can tell Russian speaking English in about 3 seconds.
So my bet is that the poster is of India origin. Those people usually are overdoing foreign languages. I simply avoid the words I am not sure how to use

Last edited by Kajtek1; 01-25-2010 at 01:31 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM
BenzWorld Member

Again, I do not mean to offend. I am sure that 300D engine will keep on ticking as soon as you have it shipped on a flatbed.

I guess my question was more about "concourse potential." Not really the ethnic origin. Do you see concourse potential here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in