post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Advice Please: 2002 c240 repair cost

Hi All,

A friend of mine is selling his 2002 C240 and is buying a newer Mercedes. The car has 89,000 miles on it and his best sell price is 7,500.00, which seems very reasonabled from what I've seen in my searching. The car has been well maintained and looks new.

My only concern is possible repair cost. As with any car, as time and mileage wear on, things need to be replaced. Anyone know how much higher general repair cost are on these cars versus, Nissan Altima, Honda Civic and those similar?

Also, is there a warranty that can be purchased? He has a warranty that runs to 100,000 miles.

Thanks so much for your time; I appreciate any feedback.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
The car you are considering is a W203 chassis. If you go back to the forum page and scroll down, you will see a forum for owners of the W203 chassis. That is the place you should ask your questions, since those good folks actually own and have experience with the car you are considering. If your particular version ('02 C240) has known faults, they will know.

Mercedes repairs are generally more expensive than repairs on the cars you listed. Parts range from more to much more expensive, and repair shops that specialize in MRZ and dealerships generally charge more per labor hour than shops that work on that list you offered.

Mercedes products are sensitive to the recommended maintenance schedule, but are generally very long-lived if that schedule is followed. Many repairs can be avoided with routine maintenance. The fluids recommended for Mercedes brands are very specific, so you should NEVER use a bulk oil change company like Jiffy Lube or repair places like Sears, Mr. Brake, or anyone else that uses untrained repair people who are not certified techs.

A Mercedes, even the "entry level" C-class is not your cousin's Ford. You ignore maintenance at your peril, and if you turn it over to a ham-fisted "mechanic" you'll get back the mess you have coming.

A handy owner can do routine maintenance maintenance themselves; the labor isn't particularly complicated. It's making sure you use the right fluids and do the job properly that is important.

If the car has a 100k warranty, I wouldn't necessarily extend it. There are warranty companies that will warrant beyond that, but I expect they are very costly. I bought an extended warranty on my W220 (S-class) while it was still under factory warranty, and I have not had a single repair in 22k miles. The W220 is a much more complex vehicle than a W203. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
(Thread Starter)
^ Thank you!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 06:19 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Its not advisable to purchase it. I had a W203. The vehicle was poorly built, low quality and repair prone. Just read the reviews and ratings, or open the door to the vehicle and see for yourself. 02 was not a strong year for ANY Mercedes product, and the C class was no exception. To add insult to injury, the one you are looking at has 89k miles. As soon as you hit 90k, ANY car, no matter the make or model, becomes a lot harder to sell and because of this, it depreciates. $7500 is not a steal on this car. Its going to a need major 100k mile service shortly. This is not a Honda or Nissan product, and yes, service will cost more and yes, things will break. Thankfully it has a warranty, but that expires in 11k miles and will cost at least $500 to transfer to you.
Lastly, watch out for the fan boys. They roam around this form and the C class section spreading propaganda about how this car is the best thing since sliced bread. They were un-educated and purchased it, now they are trying to justify their poor purchase choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in