post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 1993 300TE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Hello everybody from Steven James from the sunshine state

Hello everybody.My name is Steven James.

Iam hailing from southern california.

I got turned onto this site from a few friends in the euro car scene at a party.

They told me this site has everything I could possibly need from input to friends to pics etc.

So I took the time out to join.

Iam new to this scene as I just purchased a 300TE wagon for my family a few weeks ago but haven't really drove it because it is raining out here.

I actually have the BOAT tied to the front porch it is raining so hard.

From what I understand I bought this vehicle in prestine condition.

I have already had 6 people leave notes on the car and have come to my door asking if I want to sell it because it has been sitting there in the same spot for a while

It is a 93 and has close to 154k miles on it.

This is the first time I owned one of these cars and I am so excited.

It is was hard for me to make the purchase because of all the input you hear from people.

You know.You should get this or that because of this or that.Iam talking about brands etc.

I was torn between buying an old classsic car 60 umm maybe 70 because of the simplicity to work on them. It is hard for me to go to the dealer and fork out all this money in fear of getting burned.

The overselling of services and parts.

I decided to join so that I can be more informed and really put to shame the naysayers about owning a mercedes benz.

I have barley got to know my car so far and it has a lot of engineering done to them from the way the seats work to the sunroof to the engine and placement of stuff.

Really puts the wham on most cars I have seen that are brand new or newer mercedes.

I was actually gonna buy a e320 2000 wagon for 12grand but decided not to because the wife hated the color. Also because an old time into benz' said those new wagons are junk trans problem heater core problems and way over priced on parts.

Being that the car is in really great condition.I plan to keep it for a all so long time.

The longest I owned a car is approx 17 years .Yes the same car driven everyday. Given to me by my uncle who was into these cars. It was a porsche 911 targa 1973 silver band ,s cams 46ida carbs etc.Only reason I do not have it anymore is because some fool trashed it by running into me and was not repairable.It was turned into a big paperweight it got crunched so hard.

I was planning to get another but the price was way out of range because most of them were in the restored class or needing serious attention a big money pit.

I was going to get a newer model but again the wife was like your gonna carry your kid around in a small car .

This is how I ended up going with a benz wagon.It was hard because Iam really picky about body designs and the newer wagon never did it for me but most others were like you got to get new so people know it is new.You don't want to drive around some jalopy. Also I may be partial but I hate jap trap cars regardless how great people want to drum them up for reliability.

With my porsche it never broke down never.The only time it was down when I had a flat tire.

All I had to do to my car was check the timing, adjust my fuel mixture depending on the season,sync my carbs if it sounded out of sync,adjust the valves, change the plugs. Because it is air cooled really had not pluming to replace like watercooled cars

Pretty much on both sides of my family for the past 45 plus year they have owned nothing but german, american muscle, and some italian thrash.Not a single person has owned a jap car.Even the newbie drivers drove german.It was a vw bug but still no jap trap stuff going on here.

Oh I forgot stuff I am into. I am into my family have a new son a cool wife a a few dogs. I like cars. Especially rare collectibles,into making money,looking for cool deals in stuff I like not to flip and double. Into nature and no I am not a nudist but there are several colonies local to me. I like living in california and would never move to another state unless my wife wanted to. I like all kinds of food.Yes that include japanese but no sushi or rolls.I leave those for the yuppies as my friend titles whos parents own one of the most prominent japanese rest. in southern california for over 50 years.

So what are my plans for my new wagon.

Well, it looks pretty good and wouldn't want to mess with something that isn't broke. But maintenance is 1st priority in the longevity of anything that last,So I am gonna address the rear brakes first,move to the front and get some new tires.

Looks like it has like 75% left but I want new so,I am gonna start there.

I want to lower the car a few inches to remove the gap between the top of the tire and fender well or just above it.

Iam looking for some floor mats to keep the dirt off the prestine carpets so anybody that has suggestions feel free to chime in.

I will become a local here to the site until I get comfortable then proceed to upgrade as a member if all goes well.

Well that is a little bit about me.

I have a few questions and that is.Are there any tutorials on doing rear brakes on my car on this site. Where do I locate pictures of other members who own cars like myself?

How much would it cost at a dealer to get the full history of maintenance on my car by using the vin if indeed it was serviced there?

Any tutorials on lowering the wagon.

What is a good repair manual to get?

I seen a haynes manual but didn't know if it was informative or detailed very much. It covers w124 from I think 85-93 it is out of print but copies are still available from some sources new and used.

Brakes.Should I get the all talked about ceramic or stay oem semi metallic and do I need shims so they don't squeak on either ceramic or semi metallic.

I was planning to get new rotors save a trip to turn them if needed as to turn them runs 15 bucks and new I can get for 29 so why not.

For rear brake pads .I was told to get wagner thermo quiet or akebone.But can't find shims so was wondering If I really need them on the rear.Don't want to do the job twice.

Thanks for listening oh and my next endeavor is gonna be a earlier model wagon like an 83 or 85 turbo diesel if I can find the right one.Never worked with diesel so.I gotta get some skill under my belt before hand.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: