where are the gurus? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1995 C280. 62 thunderbird convertible project, 61 buick invicta bubble top project.67 Mustang T/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
where are the gurus?

Ok you superior knowlege bankers, after a ton of work including rebuilding my engine harness I now find the high beam light on my dash is stuck on...with car and lights off...anytime battery is connected.....there should be wiring diagrams availible somewhere, but I can't find any...the car? 1995 c280....57k miles othewise all lights and switch work fine...this car sat for 13 years half fixed after accident which probably required air bag repalcement(done by p.o...mercedes shop) but when I first got it I tried to start it and don't remeber light being stuck on then (1 yr. ago)....what should I be looking for?... combo switch works as it should and is tight not loose, just as it should be....thanks now! cliff

Last edited by vettemad; 01-21-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
You have what MB calls a W202 and you should find those gurus hanging out on that sub-forum. Just scroll down from here and look within the sedans section. Welcome to BenzWorld.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1995 C280. 62 thunderbird convertible project, 61 buick invicta bubble top project.67 Mustang T/A
(Thread Starter)
well I've been there and nobody seems to be able to offer tech help....and it does say all mercedes discussion here and there is plenty of tech questions besides mine... also the guys that used to own these old babbies are now driving newer ones and are still here somewhere with lots of old 202 knowlege but may not look at the section for 202's anymore...but thanks for the imput...I should post there too!
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Do you really need that bulb there?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettemad View Post
well I've been there and nobody seems to be able to offer tech help....and it does say all mercedes discussion here and there is plenty of tech questions besides mine... also the guys that used to own these old babbies are now driving newer ones and are still here somewhere with lots of old 202 knowlege but may not look at the section for 202's anymore...but thanks for the imput...I should post there too!
Correct you are, sort of. This forum, if I understand it correctly, is for general Mercedes issues. Yours is model-specific so I still think your question
is better placed on the W202 forum.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Let's ask a couple more questions. Maybe we can help.

When the car is running and you turn the headlights on, does the light remain lit?

When the headlights are on, are the low beams on or are the high beams on?

When you pull the windshield wiper stalk to flash the high beams, do the high beams work?

When you push the windshield wiper stalk to turn on the high beams, do the high beams work as they should?

Does the light on the dash go off when you engage the high beams or flash the high beams?

In simpler terms, do the headlights work as they should, and does anything you do to the headlights cause the light on the dash to turn off?

I'm looking for the most obvious problem--a miswired high beam light. If the light is on no matter what, the light (and perhaps some other stuff) may be wired into a hot circuit. I'm thinking when the air bag (it was the steering wheel bag, right?) was replaced, the light controller in the windshield wiper stalk was reconnected incorrectly. Alternatively, the insulation on the wiring may have been compromised and the naked wire is touching a ground source closing the circuit. The light is obviously hot all the time, so it seems to me there is a wiring mistake that happened somewhere in the reassembly process.

I'm no W202 maven; those are just my thoughts about the most obvious causes of your problem. A scavenger hunt to find the problem is likely to be costly either in terms of your time or your wallet, depending on whether you do the hunting yourself or pay someone to do it.

Good luck.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes all the operations are normal, I did do the engine harness and do all the work on my cars, I can't image the engine loom being in any way involved with the light wiring yet am also thinking as you are....I thought I'd bring this to light here and perhaps have someone who's had this problem too chime in, If no one has experienced this then I can narrow it down to being something that is the result of other repairs...If I could find a wiring diagram for the headlight circuit that would help...thanks for you interest!...cliff
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Have you registered the car with MBUSA? It's free, and (at least in the case of my two cars) you can download .pdf versions of the owner's manuals from that site. There is also a "contact us" pull-down where you might get them to provide a wiring diagram. You might also try the nearest dealership--they might have one they would let you copy, or if they are really good guys (not likely, unfortunately), let you have a peek at their diagnostic computers. Maybe they could print a wiring diagram off that.

Sorry I can't be more help.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The 202 wiring is no rocket science, the high beam indicator is wired directly to the fuse box at the output of the right high beam fuse. You seem to be talking about the dash light, I interpret that the actual high beam is not always on? In this case you have wired the high beam bulb to an incorrect connector at the fuse box or your cluster is misbehaving. Check the bulb wiring and the cluster.

A bit of guessing without the VIN but it should be a white/black (small) wire from the cluster connector pin 2 to the F1 fuse box fuse 7 pin C if I got it right.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
A bit of guessing without the VIN but it should be a white/black (small) wire from the cluster connector pin 2 to the F1 fuse box fuse 7 pin C if I got it right.
It looks to me that pin 2 (correct) goes to F1 fuse box Block D fuse 34. But if power for this light is even bypassing the ignition system, there is definitely a short circuit somewhere....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in