Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2008 ML 320 CDI clunking/transmission?
My ML had this clunking when feathering the accelerator, most noticable around 20 and 50-60 km/hr when in traffic, coming up to intersections etc.. Have had it to dealer 5 times now. They have (in order):
1. Software upgrade - a little better
2. Valve body replacement - sort of better but then haywire
3. Stripped the transmission, all OK so rebuilt it - still the clunking
4. Many hours of adaptations?? Whatever that means - gear shifts very smooth, but still this clunking when feathering the pedal, both off and on the pedal
5. Now told it is normal, that the diesel motors are "torquey" and that the clunking is the slck being taken up from the transfer case, diffs etc.. (wonder if the AMG and other V8 configurations have the same issue as they too are "torquey")
My problem is that I think it is unacceptable to have your head slammed into the head rest when feathering the accelerator in traffic etc.
Has anyone else had the same/similar issues and if so, were they resoved and how?
One very annoyed new Merc owner.