LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile How do I remove the side mirror on 2006 Mercedes E350

I am trying to install a new side mirror left blinker light but can't figure out how to completely remove the pieces. After watching a YouTube video I was able to remove the mirror piece by bending it forward and used a screwdriver to lift the metal wire clasp from the top of the plastic motor behind it. Then I removed 3 screws and took out the motor (still plugged in but now hanging). The next piece is the tough one. Its a metal bracket covering the blinker light and I don't see any screws to remove it. There is a large spring running in back of the bracket that holds the entire mirror assembly firmly to the side of the door. I unhooked the left side of the spring which I think was a mistake since it snapped back and I still can't get the bracket off. The inside bracket appears like it might detach from the left side but I don't see any way to move the tab to release the bracket so I can access the blinker light behind it. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT??? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2010
(Thread Starter)
Red face How do I remove the side mirror on 2006 Mercedes E350

i called my local dealer and asked them for a quick rundown. heck i paid them $50 for a piece of cheap plastic! to get the mirror off you push it forward at the tope and then lift from the bottom while gently pulling to pop off the mirror. there is a metal clip at the top that should pop off (you may need to use a screwdriver to work loose) and the bottom has just two metal taps that hold the mirror in place. next part, unscrew the electric motor which has 3 screws. then the tricky part, push the entire mirror housing back against the car door and shine a flashlight in the back part opening, there is a small clip just inside about 1" that you must release with a screwdriver, but then you also have to release the main outside sleave from the interior metal bracket by applying a screwdriver on the lower left side of the mirror housing facing the door. then pull firmly to release the entire housing and pull the sleeve off. you then have access to the blinker light which easily unscrews (only 2 screws and the electric clip) and pops out to replace. NOTE the replacement blinker light in the u.s. has a weird lightbulb hanging on a wire that serves no purpose at all (it is supposedly used in british models i think). it does not serve any function at all. i installed the blinker light with the lightbulb tucked inside the housing and found it obstructs the mirror movement somewhat as there is not much room inside the mirror. therefore, i plan to take the whole thing apart again and cut the lightbulb off entirely (i need to call the dealer first to make sure the blinker light will still work though). this is such a stupid design by mercedes. what a waste of time to fix a simple light. of course if you know exactly how to do it, it only takes 20 minutes to change, but for me who had to figure it out on the fly, i wasted 3 hours or more. i hope this helps out other owners though!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2007
Side Mirrors on 2001 ML320

Hello Everyone! I am trying to install new mirror covers on my 2001 ML320. I have NO IDEA what I'm doing, but I am determined to get this done today. If anyone is available, please send me a message with or without your phone number, PLEASE! One of my mirrors is without a cover and I don't want it to rain before I can fix it :-(
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: