Strange Smartkey behavior... need help please! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Strange Smartkey behavior... need help please!

Hi guys, while I´m new to the forum I have been reading posts for well over a year now since I bought my c280 1996. In all that time I never really encountered any problem which could not be fixed by following the suggestion and insight of all the great members of benzworld. However I have recently found out that my "switchblade", one button, ir based (point at rear-view mirror) smartkey has a mind of its own. I will explain: The window auto-up/down feature works only for 3 seconds after turning off the engine and removing the key from the ignition. Taking it step by step: I turn off the engine, remove the key from the ignition and have exactly only 3 seconds (every time) to point the key at the rear-view mirror in order for the window auto-up feature to work. If I then press and hold the button on the key again the windows roll down but if should exit the car and try this again somehow the cycle breaks and no windows roll either up nor down. This "3 seconds rule" also works if I exit the car and simply put the key in the ignition "position 2" trough the windows and then remove the key and point it at the rear-view mirror to roll up/down the windows. My car does not have IR pads on the door handles only on the rear-view mirror. I have tried to re-sync several times and no luck. Went to a friend that has Star and he said that he could not do anything to help. Some mechanic told me he could eventually fix it, but would need the car for 24 hs. and US$ 250 in cash "if" he fixed the problem. I have given up searching forums and websites for possible solutions.

I would really appreciate any input on your behalf on this matter. Many thanks in advance and I hope to be able to contribute to this forum in the future with some insight by experience of my own.

Regards from sunny Paraguay,

C280 - 1996
6 Cyl. - 2.8 L - FlexFuel MOD
220.500 miles on the odometer
Color: White
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: