post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: MB B170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Disable front passanger airbag MB B170 -2006

I need to disable for child seat on front passenger seat. I heard it's quite simple and anybody can do it, but how? Thanks for assistance in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you install a "Babysmart" seat purchased from Mercedes it will automatically disable the airbag.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
If you install a "Babysmart" seat purchased from Mercedes it will automatically disable the airbag.
Thanks Kent. I studied few test reports here in Finland, unfortunately MB's own seats got quite poor rating, and therefore I am getting another model

Markus
Helsinki, Finland
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
If I were concerned about the safety of a newborn kid, I would not transport him/her at the front seat and then the passenger airbag would not be an issue.

Where did you hear it would be simple and anyone would be able to do it? At least the two of us obviously cannot. I'd leave rumours aside in an important topic like this.

You would feel sorry if an adult was sitting at the passenger seat and the car faced an accident (could be someone else's fault). Would you be sure that no adult would sit at the front passenger seat after you removed the airbag?

An official MB workshop in Europe would not be allowed to disable this airbag. If you wanted to have it done anyway, someone should know how to fool the airbag unit to assume the airbag is present when it isn't, otherwise the SRS control unit would not work correctly (and you would get the airbag warning, would not pas MOT etc.). The actual airbag should be removed from the car. It could be safe to properly terminate the squib, after all the intention is that the airbag would not operate under any conditions.

Both can be done actually, there is a way to fool the SRS unit and the airbag can be deactivated but what if this was not done properly and the airbag exploded when your kid is at the seat? Have the airbag removed completely if you want to go this way, and explain other passengers that they should sit at the rear seat even if your child seat was not present in the car (better not to remove it at all, you would not need to explain why adults can't sit at the front).

Sorry for the rant, I just feel this is an important safety issue and deserves some thought.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
You didn't fill out your profile to tell us where you are writing from. For all the reasons others have cited, in many parts of the US it is illegal to transport infants in car seats in the front seat. If you are in the US, my advice is to check your state laws and make sure you won't be stopped and ticketed.

There are many safety reasons not to transport your infant in the front seat, and there are many safety reasons not to disable the passenger side air bag. The suggestions others have made are sound: carry the little tyke in the back seat. He or she will be safer, and you will not endanger your passengers when the seat is out of the car.

Cheers.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
If I were concerned about the safety of a newborn kid, I would not transport him/her at the front seat and then the passenger airbag would not be an issue.
Thanks Diesel Benz for your concern of our baby's (not born yet) safety
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJfrmLA View Post
You didn't fill out your profile to tell us where you are writing from.
Thanks DrJfrmLA for concern of our safety. I am located in Helsinki, Finland.

Sure it's recommended here too to carry children on back seat, though no law about it. According to European directive every child below 135cm travelling in passanger car must be seated in safety seat which is marked and tested according to his/her weight, practically it must be CE marked (CE marking is European marking where producer attestates tha product is according to harmonized EN standards). Also directive says that children under 3 year may not be seated at all in such vehicle where these safety seats cannot be mounted properly (practically Isofix)

-Markus

EDIT: Also from the directive: Child seat may not be mounted to front seat so that child back is facing front if front passengers airbag cannot be disconnected.

Last edited by mora; 01-10-2010 at 01:48 AM. Reason: More detail about directive
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mora View Post
Thanks DrJfrmLA for concern of our safety. I am located in Helsinki, Finland.

[/I].
I was in Helsinki and then up to Jyvaskyla for a fortnight for seminars about three years ago. You have a beautiful country.

Cheers.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

SRS passenger seat sensor fault

Hi i am in Australia have 2000 ML320 next car will be a BMW so over the faults with this car 65,000 klm and replaced the transmisson control, SRS issue just a few. Seat Sensor is not required here law states back seat only. Regardless most cars here do not have weight sensors in the seat, just want air bag to be on with out the child sensor being fixed. Had vehicle at dealer $4000 dollars later (transmission fixed), SRS light was on all the time service must have reset SRS light off 5 days passenger sits in the seat bang light stays on. Please help do not want to pay for a new sensor to be fitted to fail again as seems a standard fault for MB. Bi-pass must be an option a wiring change to the plug? Know you cannot just unplug great if you could? Please help.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toplink View Post
Hi i am in Australia have 2000 ML320 next car will be a BMW so over the faults with this car 65,000 klm and replaced the transmisson control, SRS issue just a few. Seat Sensor is not required here law states back seat only. Regardless most cars here do not have weight sensors in the seat, just want air bag to be on with out the child sensor being fixed. Had vehicle at dealer $4000 dollars later (transmission fixed), SRS light was on all the time service must have reset SRS light off 5 days passenger sits in the seat bang light stays on. Please help do not want to pay for a new sensor to be fitted to fail again as seems a standard fault for MB. Bi-pass must be an option a wiring change to the plug? Know you cannot just unplug great if you could? Please help.
If it is just a weight sensor, you should be able to fool the SRS control unit to always assume someone is present at the seat (and then deploy the airbag if needed in an accident). But if it also had the child seat sensor, the interface is more complicated and the sensor needs to be present and working.

I once asked on behalf of another person how the SRS unit could be coded with Star to assume the car does not have a weight sensor (like all W211 in Europe do not have it anyway from the factory) but I did not get any guidance. You can find settings concerning the presence of the sensor but the SRS light remained on and fault codes did not reset. Perhaps you could get advice on this, as long as the airbag is kept functional and no child seat sensor anyway exists and kids cannot be transported at the seat, there should not be any safety issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in