LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2009 E350 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I just called few places used trans is $1100 and rebuild this one 1400-2200 thats what I know now. The only thing is I have hard time to transport the car somwhere else as is. I have free towing but... shoot it sucks big time. I guess thats good idea will think about it, since car is outside I will go there today I will check my trans fluid and pick up my staff who knows maybe somebody really try to rip me off. What trans fluid should I add if I have to? Dex 3 correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
So here is interesting twist to my story I went to mechanic place and noticed nobody even open the hood of my car since thick snow was still on my hood. It means only one thing I am beeing ripped off and I trusted this guy what a joke.
My new question is how to detrmine what is up with the trans on my own since somebody mentioned vacuum lines have to be chacked. Can I get more details what to do?? Fluid level was OK by the way. I will apreciate any help
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
From your description of the car, I would spend the $1100 for a used transmission if that's what you need. Try to get one with a warranty if possible. If you can, get it to another shop for a 2nd opinion.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I almost reach my final conclusion what to do. Car will be towed to one of the recommended guys who work in MB dealer and will try to fix it as side job. After that I will try to sell the car ;( and get more then $300 profit. I believe I will ask for rebuild of my trans since 1100 is just trans no labor I hope to get good deal on this if I can get car running for $1000 I will be kind of OK. My mechanic sucks thats what I found out today I will pulled out the car and not even try to pay for "service" since hood was not even open. I try to find out if anything else can be the issue beside mechanical damage but no idea how to check. Any suggestions?? will appreciate a lot
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You still haven't said the magic words: "the transmission fluid was checked and it has/does not have sufficient fluid."

Clearly your trusty German mechanic is not trusty. It's not necessarily a misconception (I don't want to slur an entire society of people) that Germans are honest, but I know from my own experience living in Europe that once a German perceives you to be uninformed about something he or she believes you should know, all bets are off about their honesty. It's caveat emptor; if you know what you're talking about they're straight up. If you don't, you're fair game. I have no idea whether your (former) mechanic is up to anything shady, but it sounds like you got a "wall job."

If you did not hear some kind of mechanical disaster happening by your right leg, you may have something repairable relatively inexpensively. Especially if you've just lost enough tranny fluid to explain the problem.

It isn't my intention to insult Germans, so don't everyone line me up in their sights. I am speaking from my own experience and I am sure everyone has their own experiences.

Good luck with the hunt for a transmission fix.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2000 CLK 320 Cabrio
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not going to read the whole thread but I can't see how having to spend even 3k to fix the MB is a bad choice but spending tens of thousands on a new car is a good idea.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 07:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
It is called brainwashing.
Try to explain to any US citizen that commuting in 60 mpg sedan is better than driving 7 mpg Hummer?
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
OK this story is getting more and more interesting. I decided to fix the benz period. Wife got the job today in company I work for so we can share one car (her car for now). Now I have to find out cheapest way to fix the trans. Used $1100 + 400 instalation or $2500 complete rebuild. Another dilema. Can somebody recommend place where I can rebuild or buy trans cheaper than mentioned above I will be really glad to hear. You guys are great and Marry X-Mass by the way. I am in Naperville, IL but I dont limit my ideas to this location.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
There is lot of abuse in "complete rebuild" transmission business.
Too often it is used transmission pulled from wrecked car and washed.
My late friend knew a shop in LA area run by German mechanic who would really rebuild transmission giving it a year warranty.
Otherwise I would put more faith in used and unopened original transmission.
Good luck
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Could you please provide address or more info on the chop in CA? If anybody knows some reliable shops in IL I will also really appreciate some info. I bought myself some time this way to figure it out how to make it work. So far I am chcking ebay and was able to find out used trans with 87K for around $850 with shipping + 6 months warranty, I will keep looking and still count on some reply from forum in this matter. Thanks for all help so far.
P.S Kajtek I believe you are polish since I am too and your nick looks polish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in