Troubleshooting cold start valve - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: I own 4 MB's- 89 300E, 89 560SEL, 86 SDL and a "Euro" 85 190E also have 84 Porsche 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Troubleshooting cold start valve

Hello everybody
I own a 1989 190E 2.6 that has been giving me trouble since I bought it about 6 months ago. I also own a 300E (same year) which I have had for almost 3 years, is properly maintained and has no issues.
Here is the problem. When I start the engine for the first time in the AM to go to work or if it sits long enough for it to get cold it won't start right away as it should. It takes a lot of cranking to even get some sputters. Then it starts and seems fuel-starved and dies on me. This goes on 3, 4 and sometimes more times. Then it starts and with a lot of pedaling I keep it going long enough for it to warm up. However, while I am warming it up it doesn't have power, If I try to engage the transmission and drive it it will stall and eventually die on me. If I press on the accelerator it just dies. If it sits running long enought to warm up to about 60 degrees I can drive it and get going but it won't have the normal power until it's at the normal operating temperature.
It was esier to start in the summer but I still had to crank it several times. once it's hot works just fine and has normal power. The spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap and wires are practicly new, I changed them about a month ago. I have isolated the problem to the cold start valve which is good but it's not getting current.
I tested it by connecting the wires to the battery when the engine was cold
and started right away and it ran strong, no hesitation or stalling but as soon as I removed the direct wires which were feeding the CSV the engine died.
Here is the question I need help with. What could be wrong with whatever activates the CSV, (Relay or fuse)? And what parts could be wrong that I need to test to identify the culprit? BTW, I already switched the fuel pump relay from the 300E and made no difference, the Fuel Pump relay from the 190E is in the 300E and it's running fine. So, it was not that.
Since I have basically the same set up and parts in my 300E, it would be easy to test these parts by removing them temporarily from the other car since it seems like all its parts are working perfectly. I just don't know what it could be.
Has anybody had to deal with a similar problem? Can somebody throw any ideas for me to test?
I really would appreciate it if you do.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: