LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bad Independent experience, Atlanta Ga

Hi all, This is my first post on this forum, I normally read the forum for ideas and I always find answers. My experience with The Benz Shop, Atlanta, Ga. was the worst. Here is my story:

2001 Mercedes Benz CL500 Thursday, December 10, 2009

I called The Benz Store, and spoke with Todd Thomas, regarding clearing the DTC code, for a soft door close fault. I was told by Mr. Thomas, the diagnostic service would cost $77 including troubleshooting the fault code, this was included for 1 hour of diagnostic time. I agreed and delivered my car to The Benz Store, 4321 C Buford Highway Chamblee, Ga 30341. The date was Friday, 4 December 2009; approximate time was around 12 noon. After removing my car to the service area, I was told he found a defective vacuum part within the door, I told him I would bring the car back, and he said he would plug the vacuum port to avoid burning out the vacuum motor. Mr. Thomas came back out to the customer service waiting area and informed me that he wanted to show me something on my car. As we proceeded to the maintenance dock, he asked if my car was ever wrecked and who worked on my door last, and how long had I owned the car. When we reached my car, I noticed right away that my driver’s window was badly cracked. He proceeded to explain what happened, he said because my door was out of adjustment, it led to my window glass cracking. He also said that they would partially compensate me on replacing the cracked glass. I said first off, my car had never been in an accident and it had a clean Car fax history. His reason for thinking it had been wrecked was RTV, on the rubber seal between the front and rear door glass. I personally applied the RTV, to quiet a hissing noise created by escaping air past the seal. He quickly changed his story to maybe the RTV, contributed to the glass crack. Room temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) remains soft and pliable and does not harden. I quickly deducted he was not taking responsibility for cracking my driver window door glass. I also said that I arrived with a driver window that was not cracked and I will not absorb any repair cost associated with replacing my window glass. He pointed out that my window was loose in the track. I said that you still cracked my driver window glass and you should take full responsibility without fabricating a reason to pass the cracked window glass to the owner as if it were an operator fault. He agreed to replace the driver window, I also pointed out that my glass is factory tinted and is original Mercedes glass, evidenced by the logo in lower right corner. The car will be returned to the Benz Store, 11 December 2009; for driver door glass replacement only.

December 11, 2009 Time: 1008hrs

I walked through the door; the owner asked if I needed help, I said I was there to have a driver door glass replaced, CL 500. I asked if the glass was on-hand, he said yes. I asked if the glass was OE, he snapped back, yes, what do you think. I was the only customer in the waiting area at the time. Todd, was the person I originally spoke with about my car. He asked if I had the door vacuum repair kit, I said yes but I decided I want to have just my door glass installed. He became irate and then left the customer waiting area. A few minutes and now the owner is at the service counter, he informs me that my broken door glass was no fault of his technicians. In addition, that he is not responsible to cover all cost of the replacement glass. He also said his tech, discovered a missing screw that led to the breakage. Customers are now present, I said I brought my car to what I thought was a reputable business. I said you break my door glass and tell me I will share replacement cost. I said I will not pay any cost associated with a broken door glass that he will not accept responsibility for breaking. Customers are beginning to walk out; he said okay, he will replace the door glass. After returning my car to the front of his facility, I noticed the greasy finger prints on my door and dirty glass. I did not say a word, I paid the diagnostic cost and left. On my way home, the window howled because the glass did not seal at all. When I arrived home, I noticed the screws in the chrome door surround appeared to have been rounded out. Mind you, I work as a quality assurance inspector, for Lockheed Martin Aviation. Nobody deserves to be treated this way because the owner of The Benz Store did not want to absorb the cost of replacing my door glass that he broke. I think a dealer might have handled this much differently, at least I hope so.

John Porter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Jul 2008
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
WOW, I don't even know what to say. I am so sorry you have to go through this John. All because you wanted a DTC code checked out. What a rotten business owner. No one should ever go to this shop.

Did you report them to the BBB?

Quality & Service, Guaranteed for Life
FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: SL 500 AMG, Porsche Panorama turbo, Bentely GT, Escalade, Ferrari F360 Spider
For something little it turned it to big problem because people don't feel like working

Authorized Lorinser Dealer

www.shopsat.com

Specialty Automotive Treatments
700 W Sunrise Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Fl 33311
(954) 728-1234
Cristina@satreatments.com
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
(Thread Starter)
Hi, thanks for reading my post. I called the BBB and Consumer Affairs and I have a complaint in work. I also gathered a few statements from customers who witnessed and over heard my discussion with the shop owner. There is a strong possibility that could end up in court. I tried to post a few pictures, could not get it to post.

Thanks All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in