LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 E320 4matic (owned previously); 1996 SL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Was it!? I thought it was a Honda or an Acura. Either way, stupidity doesn't have brand loyalty.

"Elitist snobs talking about elitist snobs on an elitist circlejerk forum... " -Fergie

"And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile" -Once In a Lifetime, Talking Heads

"...and now you know...the rest of the story." -Paul Harvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Too much bitching, too much not me, too much preaching... We are all great but at pay time we all seek the exception.

If road are safe, think how much safer they would become if instead of bickering about rights and wrongs we'd concentrate on not stepping on each others' toes.

Nevertheless, keep in mind that ignorance of the law is the same as disobedience.

Just stick to defensive driving without bragging or criticizing and that will be all the contribution required from you for happy and enjoyable motoring.

JV

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #73 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
The entire point of the "keep right" laws are to promote defensive driving!!!!!

When this rule isn't followed, offensive (or sometimes passive aggressive) driving is the result:

Tailgating
Passing on the right
Passing on the shoulder
Brake checks
Flashing lights
Flashing hand gestures
Or ramming people! (see the post about the trucker who was pushing a car down the road)

"Elitist snobs talking about elitist snobs on an elitist circlejerk forum... " -Fergie

"And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile" -Once In a Lifetime, Talking Heads

post #74 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Agree 100%. Unfortunately your PSA is likely lost on this forum as I rarely see MB's drivers using the passing lane inappropriately, i.e. too slow/not passing, etc.

This topic bugs me so much, there are parts of the 5 in socal that the far right lane moves at 80+ mph, while the number 1 lane (5 or six lanes to the left), moves at 65 mph....go figure; the land of fruits and nuts.

If everybody moved over one lane to the right, and used the immediate left lane for passing, living and driving would be soo much more enjoyable.

This coming from a guy in an w123 diesel....

Stay right my friends.

2005 230 K, 26k-77k (sold)
1982 300 TD, 167k-226k
1982 240 D, 308k-327k (sold)
1998 E 320, 120K-141K
post #75 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
The right lane was meant to be the "slow" lane specifically for the purpose of making it easier for people to merge onto the freeway. When the right lane is the "fast" lane, people are forced to "hammer down" to merge safely, but many cars, and certainly trucks, simply can't do that and are lucky to be going 55 by the end of the onramp. This causes the "boxcar affect" as explained in the Goofy movie I posted a while back.

Last edited by j99xj; 01-04-2010 at 09:56 PM.
post #76 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j99xj View Post
When the right lane is the "fast" lane, people are forced to "hammer down" to merge safely, but many cars, and certainly trucks, simply can't do that and are lucky to be going 55 by the end of the onramp. This causes the "boxcar affect" as explained in the Goofy movie I posted a while back.
BS. The slow lane on autobahn goes above 100 mph in most of the areas and only few there have trouble merging to the traffic without obstructing it.
Consider that most European cars are much less powerful than those in US. Very few cars have more than 4 cylinders.
Maybe lack of cup holders makes the difference ?
post #77 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
But since they practice lane courtesy in Germany, the guy doing 100 can easily move left to allow a slower vehicle to safely merge. This is the point of "keep right" laws. If you are going faster than someone on the onramp, it is ok to pass them in the left lane and allow them to safely merge into the right.

My last comment was in response to the Socal example in which the entire road was very congested and that there are six lanes available and the far right lane is the fastest. If people are doing 80+ in the right lane and can't move left, the people on the onramp trying to merge have far less road to work with. Not to mention, its harder to slow from 80 when exiting.

Here in CO. every foot of onramp is needed to reach 75 mph it seems. The altitude sucks 18-20% of the horsepower out of every engine. This is on the front range at 6000 feet or so. On I-70 up around the Eisenhower Tunnel it is around 11,000 feet in which the horsepower loss is about 30%.

Last edited by j99xj; 01-04-2010 at 11:13 PM.
post #78 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 2005 E55 Designo
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Post Yup

I always belived in this philosophy. The old Ontario signs used to read "Keep right except to pass" which motorists rarely practiced.
It took me over 10 years of driving as a profession to realize...as much we want to be in control on the road, we cannot control the traffic around us...but if we learn to influence control (let others merge, get out of other's way) we see the road & others around us differently.

Last edited by 600amg; 01-04-2010 at 11:28 PM.
post #79 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j99xj View Post
But since they practice lane courtesy in Germany, the guy doing 100 can easily move left to allow a slower vehicle to safely merge. This is the point of "keep right" laws. If you are going faster than someone on the onramp, it is ok to pass them in the left lane and allow them to safely merge into the right.

My last comment was in response to the Socal example in which the entire road was very congested and that there are six lanes available and the far right lane is the fastest. If people are doing 80+ in the right lane and can't move left, the people on the onramp trying to merge have far less road to work with. Not to mention, its harder to slow from 80 when
I am pretty familiar with whole I-5 what is about 1500 miles long. There are no six lanes on it at any point, unless you count occasional merging lane.
I think what other poster was referring to was the 4 lanes stretch between San Diego and LA.
I am the one driving 80+ mph there on right lane. The freeway goes between the Ocean and military base. No exits for long miles.
Coming back to merging -it is plain driving skills. Germans knows how to push gas pedal to accelerate to freeway speed. Americans will probably never learn proper driving with present law enforcement. I love to observe the merging cars when I drive 40' motorhome while towing a boat. Driving slower I often see drivers entering the on ramp complete distracted with other things than driving. At the end of merging lane they notice that they are shooting straight between my 2-nd and 3-rd axle, so they hit the brakes and shoot behind my rear bumper.
OPS... here comes wide body 25' long boat trailer.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 01-05-2010 at 12:32 AM.
post #80 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I am pretty familiar with whole I-5 what is about 1500 miles long. There are no six lanes on it at any point, unless you count occasional merging lane.
I think what other poster was referring to was the 4 lanes stretch between San Diego and LA.
I am the one driving 80+ mph there on right lane. The freeway goes between the Ocean and military base. No exits for long miles.
Coming back to merging -it is plain driving skills. Germans knows how to push gas pedal to accelerate to freeway speed. Americans will probably never learn proper driving with present law enforcement. I love to observe the merging cars when I drive 40' motorhome while towing a boat. Driving slower I often see drivers entering the on ramp complete distracted with other things than driving. At the end of merging lane they notice that they are shooting straight between my 2-nd and 3-rd axle, so they hit the brakes and shoot behind my rear bumper.
OPS... here comes wide body 25' long boat trailer.
Yes you're right, I was referring to that part of the 5 through the marine base. The 5-6 lane comment was a guess.

2005 230 K, 26k-77k (sold)
1982 300 TD, 167k-226k
1982 240 D, 308k-327k (sold)
1998 E 320, 120K-141K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in