post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: 1987 560 SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Another "Newbie" from Oregon

Please bear with me gang as I become accustomed to the site.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a 1987 560 SEL a couple years back and am having trouble with a couple controls. Since just last month I also added a 1992 300TE, yes 4 matic, I figured I better get with the "people in the know". So far the 300 has been trouble free and the 560 has been a joy to pilot along the long stretches of Interstate 5 here in Lane County Oregon. I am not really having "trouble" with the 560 however I do have a button on the center console that is not apparently controlling anything, possibly it should not. The owners manual says the button is for the "optic horn" and leaves it at that. The CD I purchased from MBZ is not a great deal of assistance with the function of the switch or what is controlled. The car at one time before me had a phone in the trunk and the stock stereo has been replaced. A little in-site on this switch would be super. The only other trouble with the 560 has been the alarm, it does not set. I am not concerned with the alarm system and did read someplace where the "jiggle" switch was an issue and this combined with the stock radio being removed may have rendered the system inactive. I pulled the carpet and floor panel from the passengers foot well and the controller is connected and the fuses are powering up correctly as near as I can tell. I also have non-working "flash to pass". This is my first V-8 powered MBZ preceded by a 280 SEL and a 190 Diesel many years ago. I must say I am very impressed by the 5.6L and its ability to achieve decent fuel mileage, compared to my 60's Imperials, and still give all the comforts and a large degree of safety. I can't say for the little wagon since I do prefer the sedan but hope to have it for this years trips to ski country.

The 560 was located on Craigslist here in Oregon and my partner and I took the 2 hour drive to pick up our 165,000 mile toy for a paltry sum of $2100 so I do feel very fortunate. The 300 was an even better deal monetarily, $375with an allegdly blown engine. I have driven it about 600 miles now with no oil or water loss so I am counting blessings and preparing for the worst.

When I get a bit more accustomed to the site, attaching photos, I will post some pictures here but in the meanwhile they can be seen at, Flickr: flowekim's Photostream .

Thanks for the time and accepting another newbie

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Welcome to the forum! FYI: Your 1987 560 SEL is a W126 and your 1992 300TE a W124. There are chassis-specific forums under the sedans heading, just scroll down until you see it. Good luck with your cars.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: C55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: