post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2005 W215 CL500
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Diesel injector problems in Europe

The name of Mercedes is becoming somewhat tarnished in Europe. You might find this thread from the UK interesting:

Blue Efficiency injector recall? - MBClub UK Forums

2005:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/signaturepics/sigpic199506_2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I find that old news, and solved already. There is not much one can do if the part supplier first has good quality and then later on with volumes produces something else. Perhaps sticking with traditional suppliers could help. I would consider the issues with your S210 front spring perches more of an MB self created issue. Note that I don't have either model (used to have a W210).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Why old news if it is still happening?

2005:

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Its not going away. They are ruining their reputation in Europe. Google Blue Efficiency problems and see what appears.

2005:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
mercedes isn't the only one having trouble with injectors for high pressure common rail applications. cummins, navistar and gm have all are having problems as well with premature injector failures. I also know of several VW owners that had injector problems early (<30K miles) as well. GM ended up extending the warranty on diesel injectors on early models to 200K miles. And I predict the problem will show up in gasoline engines as well as the transition to direct injection takes off. high pressure and any contamination from water or dirt invites problems. So far better fuel filters, filtering down to several microns seems to have helped, along with smart software to determine when the fuel filter needs to be changed and displaying a warning on the dash to change the fuel filter.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input

Last edited by e-420; 01-13-2010 at 10:02 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
mercedes isn't the only one having trouble with injectors for high pressure common rail applications. cummins, navistar and gm have all are having problems as well with premature injector failures. I also know of several VW owners that had injector problems early (<30K miles) as well. GM ended up extending the warranty on diesel injectors on early models to 200K miles. And I predict the problem will show up in gasoline engines as well as the transition to direct injection takes off. high pressure and any contamination from water or dirt invites problems. So far better fuel filters, filtering down to several microns seems to have helped, along with smart software to determine when the fuel filter needs to be changed and displaying a warning on the dash to change the fuel filter.
I'm not sure how bad the other issues have been but the new Delphi injectors on 4 cylinder diesels has really been bad, I'm not aware of a similar issue hitting MB during recent years. The injectors were initially fine but I guess Delphi lost the quality when volumes ramped up.

I don't know if renault12s would like to advertise European injectors over American ones or if Renault has Bosch instead of Delphi but I certainly agree with him that this was a serious issue.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
I'm not sure how bad the other issues have been but the new Delphi injectors on 4 cylinder diesels has really been bad, I'm not aware of a similar issue hitting MB during recent years. The injectors were initially fine but I guess Delphi lost the quality when volumes ramped up.

I don't know if renault12s would like to advertise European injectors over American ones or if Renault has Bosch instead of Delphi but I certainly agree with him that this was a serious issue.
Catastrophic Failure modes I'm aware of in US trucks are injectors sticking open or staying open to long causing cylinder overfueling and holed pistons, or in some designs, the injectors are under the valve covers and the injectors started leaking, hence filling the crankcase with diesel. You can guess the consequences!

If your lucky the injector failure is that it doesn't open long enought or inject enough and it runs lean w/o any damage, but does cause erratic idle or surging.

As far as I know, there are only a few mfg for the newer injectors, especially those with the peizo elements. Delphi is one of the bigger mfg. and quality seemed to go in cycles.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
Catastrophic Failure modes I'm aware of in US trucks are injectors sticking open or staying open to long causing cylinder overfueling and holed pistons, or in some designs, the injectors are under the valve covers and the injectors started leaking, hence filling the crankcase with diesel. You can guess the consequences!
That does sound a lot more severe actually than the I4 CDI injector issue, at least I've not heard of any other consequences than the need to replace injectors with new ones.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone checked with the Delphi Oracle?

In the serious cut cutting endeavor MB got under way I presume that the happening was not but either an excess of trust toward a vendor, or an excess of ignorance and blind rush on the part of the Manufacturing Team (I wonder whether QC was altogether overruled).

Well, what else could be expected from something come out of the GM womb? Now is quite a sticky wicket and MB will go only so far to work it out, as new trends in car warranty response are becoming customary at the expense of consumers' patience.

The seriousness of the matter seems to be tarnished by the support of customers with new and open orders for these cars. So what's the real point to this thread?

Ach du liebe...

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault12ts View Post
The name of Mercedes is becoming somewhat tarnished in Europe. You might find this thread from the UK interesting:

Blue Efficiency injector recall? - MBClub UK Forums
Renault 12 is a far cry from Mercedes. What's the real scoop, mate?

A car would show appreciation for preventive maintenance by never leaving his owner stranded.

Defensive Driving is never having to say you're sorry: a true love story between man and machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in