post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 silver/black SL 65 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy SQUEAKING/SQUEALING brake - SL 65 AMG

Well.....I have read almost every post on squealing brakes/pads/rotors on this site and will now be taking it to the dealer in NC tomorrow.....as I don't have the knowledge to disassemble the brakes myself on this particular car and take a look.....plus I have a warranty in place, which helps and I guess that I should utilize...............brake pads on car 3,000 miles on 30,000 mile car, so relatively new pads, etc.....and were not making that sound a thousand miles ago....hopefully something simple......

Another dealer in GA in their "performance center" told me there was nothing I could do since the brake pads are so hard in composition in an AMG car, possible moisture issues, weather, etc could effect and they are known to squeak, especially when not hot enough........I asked him why the other 3 wheels had no squealing sound, so there must be a solution, i.e. replace pads with different specs, turn rotor again, caliper issues, use brake paste on back of pads, replace brake pad shims or insert if none, etc......hopefully I can tell him there is a simple solution.....

This may have been stupid, BUT........I took some of the advice found on this site and tried to "reseat" the brakes pads, thinking the brake pad surface was "glazed over" due to possible lack of hard braking, with multiple 0-100-10 runs in wide open spaces to no avail and also found some really desolate winding mountain roads in Asheville NC spending the afternoon going fast enough up and down the mountain roads for some hard braking and turning to burn off any possible glaze.

That activity gave the brakes a great "burning" workout and heated them up like a track day.......the smell of scorching brake pads...ahhhh..

BUT squeak still there only when car comes to a complete halt at lights or stops............brakes work fine though which I guess is the main point, but the sound is just too much to take at stoplights......

What is interesting is that when I go in reverse up to 30 mph and down to 5mph several times and then go forward the squeak/l goes away for a little bit.......I am thinking that a pad is loose somewhere in the left front wheel and vibrating to make the noise and when I go in reverse it shoves it back into proper place....possible loose spring/bolt holding in the pad? we'll see..

From some of the posts I found, others have had this same issue....I will post results once squeal is addressed by dealer and successful solution is found.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
abiazis

Did you read this thread?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...ng-brakes.html

I found that surface rust near the edge of the rotor (both sides) can catch the brake pads and generate a noise. I remove it annually using a screwdriver, as shown.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2005 silver/black SL 65 AMG
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
abiazis

Did you read this thread?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202...ng-brakes.html

I found that surface rust near the edge of the rotor (both sides) can catch the brake pads and generate a noise. I remove it annually using a screwdriver, as shown.
Thanks for info......dealer used brake paste on back of pads...nosie gone.....additionally, my little brake burning exercise helped quiet them down a bit......
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
I am having same noise when stopping in 2007 cls 550. I am assuming this is covered under warranty. Also any good links to what is covered under warranty and what isn't?
Thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Noises and rattles and squeaks are for sure covered.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in