post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Vehicle: 2006 R3504M, 2007 E3504M
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Critics about cruise control lever

I keep on reading car reviews which identify the mercedes cruise control lever as a giant flaw of the car, if not a safety hazard, because it can so easily be hit by mistake when you set the turn signals.

Well I have owned 3 mercedes with such levers over the past 13 years. Despite the fact that I have exceptionally big hands and long fingers, I have never, not a single time, hit the cruise control lever by mistake.

I'm curious to hear about other mercedes owners to see if it's only me.

I think that mercedes cars interior designs are so perfect, the critics are creative when it comes to finding flaws!!!

------------------------
2006 R350 4MATIC
2007 E350 4MATIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 2010 GLK350 4Matic, 2006 C55 AMG, 2000 C280 Sport
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yea sometimes I wonder the same thing. I don't ever remember once mistaking the cruise control stalk as the turn signal lever. That's why sometimes you can't listen to car critics when it comes to the little things. They are used to controls being on the steering wheels on most cars so it's a shock to them that a cruise control stalk exists in Mercedes vehicles....Considering this has been the MB way as far as the early 90s as I can remember. If Mercedes' research in ergonomics hasn't found anything wrong with it why should we?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
I actually check some old Mercedes on junk yard. Seems that CC is having the same design starting at least in 1970's and likely in 1960's.
I guess nobody made an accident because of it in last 50 years?
Operating any machinery require some adjustment. I was pretty upset changing between ML and E class.
One has wipers control on left level, the other on the right one. Not a problem if you change the car on weekly bases, but quite often coming off shopping mall the first question I had was "which car I drove here?"

Last edited by Kajtek1; 11-26-2009 at 08:41 PM.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
When I first got my 97 E420, the wife and I probably each turned on the cruise a dozen times by accident when signalling a right turn within the first couple of months. happens much less often now, but does happen on occasion. I have never turned it on signalling a lane change, only when I turn the right signal to the detent position.

I will say that to me that while the mercedes light flasher,windshield washer/wiper, horn etc. is very well thought out, don't need to remove hands from the wheel like many other cars require, I can't say the same thing for cruise.

The mercedes cruise set, increment, decrement also doesn't seem intuitve to me. The old GM style cruise control stock is more intuitve and less confusing. It's probably because that is the system I first had. Personally I don't like the steering wheel cruise control systems at all.

Also not all that thrilled about my mercedes radio controls. Seems like I always have to take my eyes of the road to change radio functions. seldom need to do that on my silverado, but the radio controls on our Honda was even worse than the mercedes.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input

Last edited by e-420; 11-26-2009 at 09:04 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
The mercedes cruise set, increment, decrement also doesn't seem intuitive to me. The old GM style cruise control stock is more intuitive and less confusing. It's probably because that is the system I first had. Personally I don't like the steering wheel cruise control systems at all.
What king of design does the "GM style CC" have? I have difficulties thinking of a more intuitive approach than the MB CC stalk.

I'm sure I have used the wrong stalk a couple of times but I cannot remember if it was more like using the blinker when the intention was to hit the CC lever.

But I cannot see the danger involved with using the CC stalk when the intention is to use the turn signal. If you put the turn signal on well in advance (like explained in the school), either CC is already on or you are anyway still about to start braking.

And if you put the blinker on only some time when turning, the speed would not increase but stay constant, I don't think anyone activates "resume" accidentally when trying to use the turn signal.

I guess I'm more used to the MB design although I don't think the first car for me with CC was an MB but I never liked those cars that had the CC buttons at the steering wheel (usually then with a separate additional activation button), I never find any reason to look at the stalk when operating CC on an MB but with other cars it does not work (perhaps a lot of experience helps).

I tried a new VW recently, when I activated CC first at low speed and later activated it again at a higher speed, it always picked up the previous lower speed (it works from the stalk but I don't remember any details). During the trip I did not learn how to use it smoothly.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
What king of design does the "GM style CC" have? I have difficulties thinking of a more intuitive approach than the MB CC stalk.

I'm sure I have used the wrong stalk a couple of times but I cannot remember if it was more like using the blinker when the intention was to hit the CC lever.

But I cannot see the danger involved with using the CC stalk when the intention is to use the turn signal. If you put the turn signal on well in advance (like explained in the school), either CC is already on or you are anyway still about to start braking.

And if you put the blinker on only some time when turning, the speed would not increase but stay constant, I don't think anyone activates "resume" accidentally when trying to use the turn signal.

I guess I'm more used to the MB design although I don't think the first car for me with CC was an MB but I never liked those cars that had the CC buttons at the steering wheel (usually then with a separate additional activation button), I never find any reason to look at the stalk when operating CC on an MB but with other cars it does not work (perhaps a lot of experience helps).

I tried a new VW recently, when I activated CC first at low speed and later activated it again at a higher speed, it always picked up the previous lower speed (it works from the stalk but I don't remember any details). During the trip I did not learn how to use it smoothly.
when I've hit cruise when signalling for a right turn, somehow I also end up hitting the "accel" function on the cruise. Don't know how or why, but that's what happened. It's far enough away it I wouldn't think I could accidentally hit it with my fingers.

On the GM system, once cruise is turned on, you push in on the button on the end of turn signal to set the speed, rotate the lever forward to increase speed in 1 mph increments or hold to accelerate, or tap the turn signal lever end button to decrease speed by 1mph or hold to coast down. Harder to describe than to do. One difference is GM and others I've had all have a "hard" off switch for the cruise control, so even if you hit the stalk, nothing happens until you turn on the cruise control. Honda was the strangest, the on/off button was on the dash below the headlights, with the control stalk on the turn signals. really weird.

Not that it's any more intuitive than Mercedes, just what I was used to. Honda was similar in function. The disadvantage to the GM and honda system is that you need to take your hand off the steering wheel to turn on wipers or washers, and to increment the speed. On the mercedes, you really can do all these functions with your hand on the wheel,so it's probably a safer system.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Than if CC level position is the biggest problem on those cars, I can live with that
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I might have hit the CC a couple times by accident, I don't remember, but I don't find any fault with the location or ergonomics. As already stated, CC in my other cars require more actions and with one (1991 Camry) I have to take one hand off the steering wheel. I activate using a dashboard switch but then set/decel/resume are on the same stalk as windshield wipers (right).

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 11-27-2009 at 11:36 AM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: ML63, SLK350, VW Jetta, STI, WRX
The first time I owned a Mercedes I questioned the CC placement, now I would not have it any other way.

Easy too use and as posted above less actions to activate.

Ajax
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2003 Lincoln LS V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post
On the GM system, once cruise is turned on, you push in on the button on the end of turn signal to set the speed, rotate the lever forward to increase speed in 1 mph increments or hold to accelerate, or tap the turn signal lever end button to decrease speed by 1mph or hold to coast down. Harder to describe than to do. One difference is GM and others I've had all have a "hard" off switch for the cruise control, so even if you hit the stalk, nothing happens until you turn on the cruise control.
My GM stalk ('02 Grand Prix) was similar, except that it also doubled as the windshield wipers. You rotated the stalk for the wipers, used the button on the end to set cruise control like you posted above, and used the off-on-resume switch to increase speed or resume CC. I liked it, except that when I had the wipers on the resume/accel switch rotated to the back of the stalk.

Overall, I like the position of the Mercedes stalk. I've never hit CC while trying to use the blinkers, but I have occasionally flashed my high beams while trying to set/cancel CC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in