BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E 420, 1997 S320, 1994 E 320, 1999 CLK 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to chefpika
(Thread Starter)
Costco Gas

Hi I was wondering if Costco gas is a good brand of gas for my 1997 Mercedes S320. I just want to make sure that it isn't bad for my car thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1978 240D
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
In theory it should be okay. But you could end up like my mom when she had to pay for some expensive repairs for her Jag because the workshop said the previous owner "must have used cheap gas".
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Considering the amount of "turn over" that their pumps get, it's probably a better mix of fuel than a station that doesn't do as much business, allowing for exposure to the atmosphere, condensation and other possible contamination issues.

What's "missing" from Costco fuels, compared to premium-name brands are the cocktails of detergents, which you can routinely add yourself. I believe most Costcos sell Chevron Techron additive in the auto section.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1997 E-420 (150K miles), 1997 SL500, (90K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Run Costco gas in lots of vehicles including my E420, when it's handy, and have never had a problem or noticed any difference in performance or mileage. Now I wish they also had Diesel, at least in my area only regular and premium, no Diesel.

Personally, I think many of the "must have used cheap gas" reasons from mechanics is because they don't know the real reason for a failure and want to tell the customer something.

You probably run a bigger risk of problems when you buy gas from a small station with low turnover and end up with water and/or dirt in the fuel.

--------His------------Hers-------

97 SL500 Imperial Red
/Parchment Leather/Black Top

Chromed OEM wheels, Akebono's, H1+90 fog, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, Rostra Lumbar support, Check seat heaters, Bilstein's, Parrot Bluetooth, GG Bailey Custom cargo mat, GG Bailey trunk mat, Real Burlwood Instrument Cluster w Chrome rings, Burlwood & Chrome shift surround, Euro headlights with Osram 70W/65W H-4's, clear corners, Silverstar corner lamps, Euro Trunk mount Warning triangle, SL600 Burlwood armrest trim & Burlwood cupholder sliding cover, Kahtec flashing third brake light (CHMSL)

97 E420 Royal Indigo/Grey Leather

Raintracker wiper, Rostra Lumbar support, Parrott Bluetooth, 17" chrome AMG replica wheels, Bilstein's, Akebono's, smoked marker lights, Osram 65W H7's, H1+90 fog, Rear Seat Child restraint Tether, Burlwood/Leather shift knob, OEM Mudflaps, DRL's, Becker Aux input

Last edited by e-420; 11-12-2009 at 11:01 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-420 View Post

Personally, I think many of the "must have used cheap gas" reasons from mechanics is because they don't know the real reason for a failure and want to tell the customer something.
Any tech worth his salt can tell detonation problems. It's as plain as the nose on your face.

To the OP...I've used Costco and Sam's gas in my supercharged Cobra for thousands of miles with no issues or detonation. I do however have my own fuel injector cleaning equipment that I use to keep things operating the way they should be.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
I've been buying the cheapest gas I can find my whole life and never had engine problem.
Our original ML320 running 12-th year with about 120k on it is the most perfect vehicle I heard about with $150 in repairs during last 11 years.
Costco generally is selling the highest quality stuff. Their relabeled toilet paper is the highest brand on the market. Would expect the same from gas, but it would be worth calling them and checking.
I will just remind that there is no such thing as "brand gasoline" .
All the gasoline sold in the area is coming from the same closest refinery meaning lot of Chevron gas come from ARCO refineries. Suppose the Chevron additives are added on the tanker, but how can you confirm that?

Last edited by Kajtek1; 11-13-2009 at 09:29 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Jul 2008
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Costco gas is the same as everyone else's gas, what is different is the additives that Costco uses to help keep you engine clean. Personally, I would not uses it unless you have no choice.

Quality & Service, Guaranteed for Life
FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 AM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I will just remind that there is no such thing as "brand gasoline" .

All the gasoline sold in the area is coming from the same closest refinery meaning lot of Chevron gas come from ARCO refineries. Suppose the Chevron additives are added on the tanker, but how can you confirm that?
Somewhat incorrect. All commercial gasoline starts out as "base" fuel at a refinery; each "brand" then adds their proprietary cocktail of additives (detergents) to the base fuel prior to delivery.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I read is that non service-station gasoline is added alcohol to reach the octane value. So who really knows...

You really wish to know for sure, take a sample and send it to a lab to analyze.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: M62
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
Somewhat incorrect. All commercial gasoline starts out as "base" fuel at a refinery; each "brand" then adds their proprietary cocktail of additives (detergents) to the base fuel prior to delivery.
Correct.

And for anyone who didnt know, odor and color is also added to the base

Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in