post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: E 280 cdi sport estate 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question worrying noise at slow speed!

Hi I have an e280 cdi 2006 estate, which I bought a few months ago with 60k on the clock, a few weeks after I got it I noticed a metallic noise while driving slowly, it is at its loudest at 20 mph and fades away at about 35 mph. I thought it was the front brakes which looked OK with some corrosion at the hub inners and the outer edges (pads OK)so I cleaned the vent hols and had them lightly skimmed. The sound just sounded like an uneven disc scrap, you could even feel the vibration along with the noise. I also gave the rear discs and drums a service at the same time(discs were good but a bit more corrosion than I would have expected in the drums). Put it all back together (had to replace a rh front spring as I found it broken as well) but the noise/ vibration is still there! Then checked the wheel bearings they were fine but repacked with green grease.
It is the seven speed auto box, which was giving problems just prior to noticing the noise, the fault it had was inconsistent gear changes and the gears not changing on the paddles some times, which would put up a fault on the system. When we took it to the merc garage it totally broke down not allowing them to even get it started. It ended up as a faulty control box which had gotten contaminated at some stage with water earlier in its life.
Is there something in the final drive which could have gone? the noise is at wheel speed as it does not change is you put it in another gear. It also seems to be coming from the front and not the rear end.
Has anyone had any experience of the same problem, I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Jul 2008
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Even though the sound does not get louder when you speed up, does it seem to be more constant?

Quality & Service, Guaranteed for Life
FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: E 280 cdi sport estate 211
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hi FCPGroton, yes as it goes at wheel speed it sounds more constant and about 40mph you don't even notice it at all. The car drives fine with no noise etc from then. I have covered about two thousand miles since I first noticed it and thought it was just the brakes, but it does not appear to have got any worse after that trip, but it is definitely a metal to metal feel/sound. The only other thing we noticed on the trip was that the air con would not cool the car enough when it got hot outside, but I suspect that is another fault.
thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in