LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bluetooth Interference with Engine running

I have just installed the bluetooth puck in my 2003 cl55. I have the bluetooth linked to my iPhone. With the car off it sounds crystal clear on both ends. The second I start the engine, the person on the other end hears a CONSTANT buzzing. Its a failry loud buzzing too. Anyone else experiencing this type of interference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
The Audio & Telematics section could know more about this but do you have the iPhone connected to a charger when this happens or is the phone "in your pocket"?

Does it sound like this 200 Hz buzz from the GSM transmission or does it happen also when the phone is on a UMTS cell? Are you keeping the phone close to the car microphone or the BT adapter?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The phone is not hooked up to a charger. Ive tried having the phone in several different locations, didint change anything. I dont know hwo to explain the buzzing, its just really annoying.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
anyone?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:39 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 03 SL500 with all the toys
Got a buddy that you can have BT his phone to the car? This will tell you if the problem is with the phone or the car.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 01:05 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SL500 View Post
Got a buddy that you can have BT his phone to the car? This will tell you if the problem is with the phone or the car.
Any test that isolates parts that could be the source of the noise are useful but if this phone was fine when the car was not running, it sounds more like car issue like some supply power interference reaching the microphone (wiring).

I understand the interference does not affect radio if it does not affect the telephone in the direction to the car? An issue with the alternator or a blown capacitor does not seem likely then.

I would test with a another microphone connected directly to the phone interface box. Perhaps the microphone wire is placed too close to some high power wires and picks up the noise.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
k well the iphone i am using is on a GSM network, and i tried with my friends CDMA samsung phone, and it sounded great. Can the GSM be messing it up this bad?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by domenico_169 View Post
k well the iphone i am using is on a GSM network, and i tried with my friends CDMA samsung phone, and it sounded great. Can the GSM be messing it up this bad?
It could because the phone transmits "pulses" at about 200 Hz rate, it is a TDMA based air interface. But if it was your microphone wire poorly shielded and picking up this interference (needs some non-linear components, could be the mic amplifier), the same noise should appear when the car is not running.

And none of my MBs have had any interference issues irrespectively if I use the phone close to the microphone or any other audio part at the car. You must have an issue with your phone or the car wiring or something like that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Hi, new member. I found this forum (and post) while goggling for an answer for the exact, I mean exact, same problem. I have a 02 CLK 430 and have the same issues. I thought it was the phone system so I swapped it out for the Argos system but the problem still remains. I will add this, I also have a Blackberry Music Gate plugged in to the AUX port in the glove box and you get the exact some noise through that. I feel that is defiantly alternator whine. It is a loud shrieking sound that changes pitch & intensity with engine speed. The Music Gate runs off 12v power form the lighter. Funny thing is if I power the MG with a battery(jump pack) the sound disappears. My guess is we have a bad ground or the noise filter in the system is bad. I’m not sure if the phone system & lighter share the same circuit or where the noise filter is so I’m hoping with this additional info someone with greater wisdom will have an idea. Thanks in advance..Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in