post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Smile Maintenance

Hi all

I have a MB R 350, 2006 model. I purchased this used last year. Its has now 34k miles on it and a Maintenance light keeps popping up saying: F Services in 3 days time.

What should i do? Can this be done at say a MIDAS or PEP BOYS? or should i go to a MB service center?

Would appreciate any inputs. Thanks
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Outstanding Contributor
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
I think that this is a no-brainer.... especially as you have bought yourself an up-market ride.

Pep Boys do not even stock the oil you must use for your R350. What does your Owners Handbook tell you about your service intervals?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E350
Take it to someone knowledgable

I believe that you need to take your R350 to someone who sees this cars all the time and is intimately familiar with them. Someone who knows the potential trouble areas and can spot something wrong before it turns into something big. Someone who is so familiar with them that he can say, 'That's not right' to something the Pep Boys mechanic would not even notice.

It is doubtful that PepBoys has the ability to reset the maintenance indicators properly.

It doesn't have to be a dealer, just someone who has significant experience with your model.

I'm not picking on your R350 either. our cars are not something that your average mechanic sees often enough.

May I suggest that you ask around among other MB owners and locate an independent MB mechanic that is trusted by several of them. Then take your car there and develop a relationship with them. That's what I have done and it has paid dividends.

Dave Barnhart
Phoenix, AZ
2006 E350
Past Mercedes:
1993 300E
1984 300D
My E350 Blog
My 300E Website

Last edited by dbarnhart; 11-12-2009 at 05:02 PM.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2009
Originally Posted by balajinaman View Post
Can this be done at say a MIDAS or PEP BOYS?
Oh man...neither one of these places would touch my bicycle...let alone an automobile I owned.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:00 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Cobra Guy View Post
Oh man...neither one of these places would touch my bicycle.
Made me laugh!

Dealership or an independant mercedes shop. Where are you located? You can check the recommended shops forum for a place to take it to.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Since you need to ask, you need to establish a good relationship with a MB mechanic of your trust. Not a Service Writer!!!

Last edited by JoeVal; 11-13-2009 at 09:47 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
This in majority is a forum for DIY, so I am surprised that most of replies is pushing the OP to the stealer.
If you are not familiar with oil change and car inspections, this is your chance. With top mounted filter and engine design for oil vacuuming you can't imagine easier car to work on.
Now if you are not technically advanced, you still might want to take the car to professional for doing other required inspections but that will be another story.
The time frame on FSS is not something I consider important. Our 99 model doesn't have calendar in the system and we did the service on 18 months intervals for years.
What is the mileage part of FSS showing?
Welcome to the forum.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle: 95SS(165k) 06CDI(SOLD) 2014 GLK250
You own a MB

Daimler & Benz simultaneously just rolled over in there grave when you thought of taking your ride to midas/pepboys for service

Although they do sell the proper oil in Pepboys only

Still non the less please drive off a cliff before you bring it there for anything in the service bays
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 05:48 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2005 C55, 2007 Trailblazer SS
Oh my goodness. I can't believe you're even thinking about taking a Mercedes to Pep Boys or Midas. I wouldn't let them touch a 1984 Tercel. You need to go to go somewhere like a dealer or indy (though I much prefer the dealer). People don't seem to realize, that places like Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, etc. are the ones who will rip you off and NOT perform the services they upsell or not perform them the right way. The dealership does not make it business to rip customers off, and the ones that do aren't around for long. People just don't seem to understand that. All the news stings of car repair places never go to the dealer they always go to Jiffy Lube.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
So there you have it.

Kajtek is right about the DIY possibilities if you're reasonably handy AND you take the time to learn how to do the work and what the required fluids and replacement bits are.

You absolutely cannot buy a quart of Pennzoil 10W-30 at your local Circle K and stick it in the crankcase. You can't buy Wal-Mart $1.99 a gallon coolant and put in the radiator. You can't buy much at any chain parts store that will work on a Mercedes--don't even THINK about universal replacement parts (like fuel filters and the other crap that "fits all cars.") There are a number of vendors that support this site who sell OEM and OEM-equivalent parts at a substantial discount off dealer prices if you want to DIY things other than routine maintenance.

The other universal advice you have is NEVER, NEVER take your car to a bulk oil change place like Jiffy Lube or to a chain repair place like Midas because they are not equipped to handle the very specific repair requirements of Mercedes. They lack the STAR diagnostic software as well as the experience and expertise to successfully repair the car. The scary thing is that doesn't seem to matter, so they will TRY to repair your car. Then you're really screwed because it will cost a multiple of the original repair cost to undo all the mess they'll make of your car.

There are good independent shops who charge lower labor rates than the dealership if you don't want to do any work yourself. Ask particularly if they are familiar with and have a substantial work history on Mercedes. A BMW shop that does a little Benz work on the side is not the same as a shop that does a lot of Benz work all the time.

You bought a high-end car. It is exceptionally complex. The price of the pleasure of driving it is the necessity that you treat it well. Otherwise, it will be a nightmarish ownership experience. This ain't your mother's Chevy.

Enjoy your ride!

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: