2001 ML320 BAS/ESP, ETS,ABS, brake warning, check engine signs all on! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool 2001 ML320 BAS/ESP, ETS,ABS, brake warning, check engine signs all on!

Someone with same experience please help me!
My 2001 ML320 had check engine light for months which I ignored.
2 months and 2000 miles ago I had front brake pads and rotors replaced at a shop (OEM ones).
Since 1 month ago occasionally in the morning when it's chilly here in San Diego, BAS/ESP,ETS,ABS,Brake warning sign and red Brake sign illuminate all at once with beeping sound upon ignition or 5-10 seconds after ignition. Car shakes upon gear change. When I drive on, speedometer stays at 0, although tacometer works and the car feels like scratching on the ground with increased friction, as if I had not released the brake.
This is not happening when I start the car later in the day when it's warmer. The next morning it recurs.
As you might have noticed, I am a novice. Someone said it's brake switch. others said it's speed sensor. Stealership said ESP control unit, traction unit. They said ESP control unit is faulting and ESP control unit connector has corrosion, quote for replacement is $3319.
I know similar problems were posted here many, many times but wondering if someone had exactly same problem I have and can share how they handled it. Thanks!

Last edited by CWLEE; 10-30-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Did the stealer hook it up to the Mercedes SDS system to arrive at this dianosis? If so, it's a pretty sure thing, although nothing is perfect.

The first thing I would do is check your battery. Not only is that inexpensive and easy to do, but there have been numerous complaints of this general nature (several warning lights on simultaneously) and a few times the problem was low voltage due to a bad battery.

The shaking on shifts and the scratching are probably something else, and I'm not a wizard when it comes to self repair either. The speedometer is a but quizzical but that might be due to an electrical issue too.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I am not sure if they hooked with SDS system but

The paper says I requested MPI World Class Inspection. Should I ask them if they did SDS inspection, you think?
It said " recommend new control unit and further advise" so I guess they just want to try this out and see if this fixes the problem? And it will cost me over $3000!
Thank you for the reply BTW.
Can anyone share any other thoughts?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't know what MPI World Class means, but any competant dealer would have used the Star (SDS) system. It wouldn't hurt to ask them what they did. They might be just replacing parts, it's hard to tell. Also, find the correct ML-Class forum and ask your questions there too.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in