post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2008 R350 IRIDIUM SILVER
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lowering via STAR... SDS programming

I am trying to lower the rear air suspension of my 2008 R-Class (W251) to match the front which I lowered using H&R springs. I took it to a MB mechanic, but he had never lowered a MB using the STAR. He tried SUSPENSION > BODY > ACTUATION and lowered it to the perfect height for me. The factory height when read as voltage (in the STAR) was 2.98v, the height which looked the best was at 1.78v. We then checked it in ACTUAL VALUES it had lowered 36mm. When he disconnected the STAR and I tried moving the car, it rose to it's original height, which makes it look like a jacked up '69 Camaro. He also tried programming SUSPENSION > BODY > RELEASE PRESSURE LEFT REAR STRUT then RIGHT REAR STRUT, again it lowered to the perfect height, but again rose to it's factory height when I moved the car. It seems as though there is a step missing where the STAR can save a new default height (at the lowered position), but he couldn't find any mention of that. Several members have successfully lowered their R using the STAR but did not see what menu or what settings were changed by the tech using the STAR computer.

The mechanic I went to seemed well versed with the STAR, but more for diagnosing problems and not for accessory type items.

Is anyone familiar with the process for doing this on a STAR? or can refer me to someone in the Miami area who has done it.

I do not want to install adjustable links since it can be done by STAR.

Also, I went to the stealer but they wouldn't do it. The shop foreman said they couldn't do anything to take a car out of specs, another tech said it was illegal, and another tech said it was not safe, the service writer called all of the techs "tightasses" and that if he knew how to do it, he would. I think the only excuse left was that they don't do it to silver cars on Tuesday's on odd numbered years. They could not agree on disagreeing. That was a waste.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 08 CLK convertible, 2010 ML350 AWD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the reason they wouldnt do something like that on dealership time is because of the liability they would have to assume.. by taking the car out of spec like that.. quite significantly it seems.. you are messing with alignment angles.. if god forbid something goes wrong involving the suspension.. they would be liable.. i cant really fault them for not doing it..

as for giving instructions on how to lower it.. i would have to go to the shop and actually hook it up to a non-airmatic R class and check it out with the SDS. Kinda hard to memorize all the options on the entire line-up.. if i get a chance during the week, ill make sure to get in touch..

PS: you might wanna try going into initial startup menu of the suspension control unit... during initialization, it may ask you to enter the value... kinda like how the tire pressure control unit works... just a guess..

Last edited by kchoi919; 10-23-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: