We live in central Illinois and just added a 1999 E320 wagon to our collection of cars and I believe this forum is going to be a very useful tool while we own the car. It is our first Mercedes. Our main car to this point is a 2005 BMW 325i sport (very fun car, but not enough passenger room). The 7 seats in the E320 wagon is what sold me on this car.
Unfortunately, the 1" thick stack of repair receipts I received when I picked up the car has me worried about what it will take to keep this 11 year old wagon on the road. So, for the time being we are keeping the BMW.
The wagon is bright silver metallic with grey interior. It has 73,000 on the odometer.
Repairs already complete by previous owner:
- Front spring perches replaced by M-B dealer
- Engine valve lifters (recently replaced) - hope this isnt a bad sign
- Full exhaust including Cat converters and O2 sensors (but still getting P0105 code)
- New rear brakes (recently replaced)
Repairs/Maintenance/Upgrades I've completed in 2 weeks of ownership:
- Repaired about 20 rust spots (from tiny bubbles to 4 square inch areas) with POR-15, primer, not-so-great match topcoat and clearcoat. This was a Chicago car
- Replaced cabin air filters
- Drain, flush (water hose) and fill coolant with Zerex G-05
- Purchased 16" FOMB alloys for summer usage. Need to sell 1 set of OEM rims and winter tires with 1 season on them.
Repairs/Maintenance/Updates I plan to complete fairly soon:
- Replace evaporator temp. sensor in an attempt to get cold air blowing again.
- Replace broken cruise control switch
- Repair sunroof that gets stuck halfway.
- Change oil with Mobil 1 0W-40 and polyester Mann filter kit.
Repairs/Maintenance I'll probably pay a mechanic to complete soon:
- Drain/Flush Brake fluid, Tranny Fluid (plus filter) and Steering system
- Reset P0105 code (I've tried with my SPX OTC reader, but it still remains)
- Reset Service due now code
I plan to look at other posts for recommended maintenance on a 10+ year old W210.
I'll also post some pictures once I get them from my camera.