post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: C200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy C200 NO COMPRESSION PLEASE HELP

hi all,newbee here. i have a 2003 c200 1.8 which just wont start,it seems there is no compession at all, the engine has only done 57,000 miles so im hoping(well praying) that its nothing major,the car has been stored for 12 months,not sure if this has anything to do with it. the key will turn the car but it just wont fire up, is there anything i could check myself before taking it to MB? if anybody can help with advice it would be fantastic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
What leads you to conclude there is no compression?

Assuming your conclusion about compression isn't so, your petrol may have aged and no longer be combustible (unless you put fuel stabilizer in the tank), or the moisture in the petrol settled out (it's heavier than petrol) and is now in the fuel line (it doesn't burn).

It may be some electrical connections have corroded and are no longer carrying fire to places that fire is needed.

If the starter turns the engine freely, then it's unlikely you have any sort of internal catastrophe to fret about.

I'd put as much fresh petrol in the tank as it will hold and jostle the whole lot around then try starting it again. I think old fuel is your problem most likely.

Worst case is the tank has to be pulled and it and the fuel lines have to be drained to get the moisture out. This is unlikely, but it will be expensive if that's the case. Your dealer will most likely propose that out of the box, so if you have an independent garage you trust, I might take it there if new fuel doesn't remedy the problem.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hello and thank you for your post.Idid a quick compression test on one of the bores and it was nill,ive since took the top cover off to reveal the chain and it is in good order and nice and tight,there is fuel getting through(put some fresh in it today) and there is a spark there,have you or anybody else out the got any more ideas i could check for? im thinking it cant be electrical or a sensor fault as there would still be compression,not that im well up with engines but have a manual to aid me. many thanks
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Jul 2008
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Was the car running ok before it was put away for a year? If you are not getting compression on all cylinders, it is a major issue.

When you go to start the car, does it spin freely?

Quality & Service, Guaranteed for Life
FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
hi grotton the car does spin quite freely,i bought the car last week like an idiot,was told it was a repo and just needed coil packs and wiper stalks,put the coil packs on and hey presto dud! im now thinking about taking the cylinder head off to see if this will reveal any clues ie valves and pistons? like i said chain is fine, not sure what else could cause no compression,any ideas?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Ah, more information.

Can you view the mark on the camshaft pulley and on the crankshaft? It sounds like maybe your valves are being held open during the compression stroke which would leave you with no compression. If the engine has "jumped timing" as we used to say--the camshaft(s) and crankshaft are not synchronized, that would cause it.

There should be a mark on the crank and the cam that align if the timing chain has been installed with them in the proper place. It could also be the chain tensioner has released and allowed the condition. A tight chain argues against this, but if you're missing teeth on either the crank or the cam, that could explain it.

I'm not sure pulling the head at this point is what you want to do. Check the valve timing situation first.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
ah thank you drjfrm i will try to check this out in the morning failing that, weekend,i have the cover off so should not take long,i did think about the tensioner and kind of was hoping it was but like you say the tight chain argues against it but it would explain it. many thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
righteo i have managed to check the timing,i have turned the crankshaft pully to its tdc position and it appears the timming is out ,on the left hand camshaft looking at the engine from the front the timing marker i'd say is about a tooth out ,and on the right hand camshaft it looks to be at least 3 teeth out.im going to check/ replace the tensioner tommorow all been well, would the timing been out by this much cause the valves to remain open or would it the timing have to be out much further?im guessing its out by about 15 to 20 degrees ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in