Purchasing 2005 SL500 - After market warranty suggested? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Purchasing 2005 SL500 - After market warranty suggested?

Hello all -
I'm just about to pull the trigger on purchasing a 2005 SL500 w / under 20k miles. I did a carfax and, other than routine maintenance, was in the shop to have work done on the power steering 2 mos. after it was purchased.
1 owner vehicle.

I have the option to purchase a "bumper to bumper" (sorry don't have details) warranty as the car's original just expired. The least expensive warranty would be about 1750 for an additional 5 yrs and 40k miles.

Thinking out loud, it seems like the things I've read about that fail might not be covered under the warranty - hoses, convertible parts, interior pieces, etc. but wanted to hear what MB owners with experience think.
Thoughts?
Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: w204 (C350ELE)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope is Certified Previous Ownership sold by a dealer. If that's the case I'd buy the car with the max warranty to 10th year or 100000 miles from MB. Otherwise, I have no other experience and there are all kind of companies offering "warranties".

Good luck, JV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVal View Post
I hope is Certified Previous Ownership sold by a dealer. If that's the case I'd buy the car with the max warranty to 10th year or 100000 miles from MB. Otherwise, I have no other experience and there are all kind of companies offering "warranties".

Good luck, JV
If you are going to keep the car get the long warranty from MB. It will pay for itself in spades.

However, "any part not specifically included in this warranty is excluded."

You might want to look for a warranty from a third party that does not have this clause.

Last edited by ivanj; 10-04-2009 at 06:31 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
I would avoid the car. Get 07+ up (face lift). If you have to get one with more miles to meet your budget, do it. They revised several of the electronics which will break on the 03-06.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Can you tell me which electronics break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
I would avoid the car. Get 07+ up (face lift). If you have to get one with more miles to meet your budget, do it. They revised several of the electronics which will break on the 03-06.
There were Bulletins that covered many of these issues.

I don't mean to be contentious I am just looking for good, detailed information.

As an aside, one might say that the Bosch CANBUS is fundamentally defective design. It is a serial bus whereas it should have been designed as a parallel bus. This is one of the reasons trouble shooting is so costly. In a serial bus the tech has to to isolate each component during trouble shooting. Think of it as the old style strings of bulbs on a Christmas tree. If one bulb goes out, the entire section goes out. Trial and error to find the bad bulb - each bulb has to be taken out and replaced with a known good bulb until the section lights up. That is why so many of the subsystems on cars send multiple error codes - where is the real problem? $$$$$$

Fiber optic, it's great except when something like a connector is damaged or defective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in