LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Flickering Xenon Headlight-aftermarket

I have a 2002 C-240 with factory bi-xenon headlights. I recently purchased an aftermarket upgrade headlight kit (complete assemblies, ballasts, and wiring) from Mercedes Benz Wheel. These are beautiful headlights, but after about 2 weeks the driver's side xenon now flickers, flashes, and then goes out after about 1 1/2 minutes. I can restart the engine and the scenario repeats itself each time. I have taken it back to the shop that installed the kit and they checked the bulb connector and it seems to be O.K. What is causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
My first guess would be a ballast. Most aftermarket kits are absolute junk. If you didn't get a genuine Philips, etc, then you should probably toss what you have and start over. A high quality retrofit will run you about $800 if you do most of it yourself. You can get by for less than half that if you already have projectors. If you try and do this without projectors, you are wasting your time and money.

Keep in mind that what you are doing is almost certainly illegal. However, most places don't worry about it unless you are blinding oncoming traffic. Check out HIDPlanet.com for some great information.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input. I paid over $800. for this particular kit and am very pleased with it. Nothing illegal here. I have done additional research and am now thinking it may be a capacitor issue. If anyone can confirm this and advise where to buy a decent pair (one for each side) at a decent price, I would appreciate it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
I don't want to start a big fight here, but they are most likely illegal. Anytime you change the headlights from the factory design, it's illegal. If your car originally came with HID's, and you install factory HID's that came on your car, you are probably just fine. Anything else is illegal. Plenty of literature on that if you care to read it. But like I said...it's usually not enforced unless you cause a problem to other drivers or are in an accident where someone complains about it.

What projectors are you using?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
No worries Cobra Guy. Here is a link to the kit I purchased:

Mercedes C Class W203 Xenon Headlights (01-07) [Mercedes C Class Xenon Headlight]

My C-240 had factory HID headlights and I bought this kit as an upgrade.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2005 CL65 AMG
Check your grounds.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2000 w163 ml 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail View Post
Check your grounds.
i second that, it happend to me with my after market apex kit for my mazda. while i was leaning over the car to inspect the ballasts, i accidentally pressed down on the ground wire and voa la!

nice kit tho,..but didnt ur car w203 come with projectors?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Yes the factory lights did have projectors, but I was having a problem with the passenger side ballast. The cost to replace the ballast was going to be as much as the cost of the kit I bought. The kit assemblies look a lot nicer on my car then the factory ones. It was really a no-brainer. Now I just need to get the bugs out. I'll check the grounds. Hopefully that will work. I'll keep you guys posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in