LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 C200 General Maintenance Cost

Hi all, I am not a Merc user at the moment and contemplated to be one. The only model that's within my budget and suitable for my lifestyle is C200, 2006 model. The only concern that I have in owning a Merc is the maintenance cost. I have seen many of my friends and business associates driving BMW 320 and the maintenance cost is so prohibitive.

Most of the problems they encountered such as Air Conditioner IC Chips malfunction and cost them USD 1700 to replace. Gear box gave way after few years of ownership seems to be a norm for BMW 3 Series. I have gathered many good comments on Merc and my German colleague was a strong promoter for Merc because he said Merc is the cheapest car in Germany if we are evaluating from the long term perspective. Merc involved very little maintenance.

I just need to get a reliable car, good comfort and safety for my small family. I won't be involve in any street racing and high performance is really secondary. Fuel economy is also what I am looking at since the gas price is on the rise. Ultimately, I don't want to get a car which I need to send it to the workshop once every 2 months for repair work.

Do you think C200 is a good car for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2000 w203 c200k (Yes, it's a w203 from Germany)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthraider View Post
Hi all, I am not a Merc user at the moment and contemplated to be one. The only model that's within my budget and suitable for my lifestyle is C200, 2006 model. The only concern that I have in owning a Merc is the maintenance cost. I have seen many of my friends and business associates driving BMW 320 and the maintenance cost is so prohibitive.

Most of the problems they encountered such as Air Conditioner IC Chips malfunction and cost them USD 1700 to replace. Gear box gave way after few years of ownership seems to be a norm for BMW 3 Series. I have gathered many good comments on Merc and my German colleague was a strong promoter for Merc because he said Merc is the cheapest car in Germany if we are evaluating from the long term perspective. Merc involved very little maintenance.

I just need to get a reliable car, good comfort and safety for my small family. I won't be involve in any street racing and high performance is really secondary. Fuel economy is also what I am looking at since the gas price is on the rise. Ultimately, I don't want to get a car which I need to send it to the workshop once every 2 months for repair work.

Do you think C200 is a good car for me?
So far in my experience, that is complete BS. Germans tend to be a bit biased and too proud of such things. It's not far from reality to say that they are pretty good at denying things, which includes such things as the reliability of these cars and their MASSIVE parts and labor costs. I am in a family where almost all the cars are Mercedes, from small to large. They are all problematic and those family members were pressuring us the same way to buy a Mercedes. Luckily, we had a warranty to take care of the repairs we had over the year of ownership.

I've grown up with people in the US and they've all been apologists for the same crap that persists to today, such as the transmission problems.

Don't get fooled. That's all I can say. You can protect the facade, or just stay away from it altogether. Search this forum.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Jul 2008
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Welcome to BenzWorld. I have heard good things and bad things about Mercedes when it comes to reliability. I know the newer cars seem to have more issues because there is more to go wrong on them. It really is hit or miss with these cars.

Quality & Service, Guaranteed for Life
FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2009
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk_chicken View Post
So far in my experience, that is complete BS. Germans tend to be a bit biased and too proud of such things. It's not far from reality to say that they are pretty good at denying things, which includes such things as the reliability of these cars and their MASSIVE parts and labor costs. I am in a family where almost all the cars are Mercedes, from small to large. They are all problematic and those family members were pressuring us the same way to buy a Mercedes. Luckily, we had a warranty to take care of the repairs we had over the year of ownership.

I've grown up with people in the US and they've all been apologists for the same crap that persists to today, such as the transmission problems.

Don't get fooled. That's all I can say. You can protect the facade, or just stay away from it altogether. Search this forum.

Hi Jack, thanks for your frank feedbacks and I deeply appreciate it. Having to live in asia, Malaysia to be specific and was thinking hot weather is the main culprit for frequent breakdown of Merc. My in uncle owned a E280 and encountered battery failure a week after he got this new car from the showroom. The Merc sales person was very proud to reply him that the car comes with warranty and they could send someone to take care of the dead battery. I believe most people invested in Merc for prestige, reliability and quality but it seems like Merc is loosing their ground on quality and reliability.

I was thinking Merc having to come from Germany and the waether there is very much cooler than Malaysia. In Malaysia, sometimes we could get weather like 40 Degree C outdoor and it's really toasty. Those Japanese made cars like Toyota and Honda are running fine and in fact have very minimal case of breakdown compare to Merc and BMW. A few years back, there have been many cases of the wiring in Merc get melted because of the engine heat and the hot weather. Merc has overcome the problem by replacing new type of wires that have better heat resistant than the previous type.

The only reason that I will buy a C200 is for the comfort, safety and reliability and quality. I am not very sure about the R and Q anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in