The only issue I've heard regarding debris is if you power flush your tranny and therefore dislodging a bunch of stuff better left where it is. A simple drain/refill with a filter change should present no problem.
I am going to the following service on my 1984 300SD Transmission.
1. Drain the transmission pan.
2. refill with sacrificial Import ATF.
3. Run the car through the gears.
4. Drain the Transmission pan.
5. remove transmission pan and filter.
6. install new filter and transmission pan with new gasket.
7. refill with sacrificial ATF.
8. Run car through gears.
9. Drain Transmission pan
10 Refill with AMSOIL Universal synthetic ATF.
Did a similar service to 2007 BMW 328i using Redline Synthetic ATF and no issues have developed.