LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lexus vs Mercedes

Which one is better Lexus LS or Mercedes S-Class?

Edit

I meant Mercedes Benz C class vs Lexus IS

I already know the S class owns the LS in everything..

Last edited by pspslim; 09-07-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I sense a collective *sigh* among the good folks here.

OK, I'll bite... I recommend that you choose to post this on a Lexus forum as well to gather opinions by owners of both vehicles, tho you can guess most members of each forum will be loyal to their own marque. Maybe someone here has owned both?

Speaking generally as to the manufacturers rather than specific models, I personally love Lexus for their utter reliability but chose Mercedes-Benz for the solidity and quality that exudes from the car. They are different animals, the Lexus is generally a get-in-and-go sort of ride while the Mercedes tends to be an enjoy-the-cruise vehicle in my estimation. Drive both and decide for yourself, surely the best way to answer any question of taste. Good luck whatever you choose, both are excellent vehicles.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Since this is your first post on this site, we'll give you a pass. This topic has been discussed to death. If you do a thread search, you'll probably find 50 lengthy discussions all of which are inconclusive. I have both. I like them both. They are the same year model and share my garage (The R129 has to live in the yard). I like my W220, my wife likes her LS 430. Tomaytoe, tomahtoe.
If you're trying to pick a fight, it won't happen with that topic. If you're genuinely curious, search the threads on this forum and the Lexus forum.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jul 2005
Send a message via MSN to interiormagic
Mercedes offcourse, like anybody here will tell you if you want to feel safe get a benz, they are built like a damn armor truck, if you want quality get a benz, if you want a car that will impress your friends and get you the ladies, get a benz, the car speak for itself and for you sometimes, it says you have great taste and know what you want in life. if you want the best sales service around, get a lexus, yes they are reliable, but so is honda, nothing make a big statement like a benz, specially the old benz,the older the better. have you ever see anybody driving around the old 1990 LS around? the presence of a nice car is just not there, and that's why we pay the big money for these cars, no matter how much we put in them to get them running. S-class over any LS any day,
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:28 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2005 SL500, 2007 E550
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The answer depends on how you define 'better.' But there is one thing that Mercedes has that Lexus will never have: an incredibile heritage of building advance technology cars for more than one hundred years. Separately as Benz and Daimler and then together as Mercedes Benz, these cars have always been at the forefront of automotive technology. Mercedes Benz has a significant racing history as well. Mercedes has been a prestige auto that people have aspired to own for all of the 20th century and into the 21st. Lexus came about as a marketing decision by Toyota in the late 80s to get into the luxury car business. The same thing that Huyandai is doing with its Genesis and its new Equis. This may not be important to most people, but I like it that the philosphy behind which my car was built is based on the visions of two automotive pioneers of the late 19th century.

Neil
San Francisco Bay Area

2007 E550, P1, Sport
1996 SL320, ASR, Heated Seats, Xenons, CD Changer,

My Cars: http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/sho...&ppuser=133412
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:46 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2001 E240
If you can only afford 1 car, think it twice before you go for Mercedes.

Read this...
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221...y-trouble.html

Lexus is 100 times less likely to land you in shit like this.

What do you want - a car only to adore or to enjoy in daily use?

Last edited by Zaxler; 09-06-2009 at 12:49 AM.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Guys I already know the S-Class beats the LS in every aspect..

But I kind of think that investing on a Lexus IS is better then the lower range Mercedez C-Class...
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

I bought mers last year, i am not gacing till now, so i will recommend mers.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2000 w203 c200k (Yes, it's a w203 from Germany)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlehre View Post
The answer depends on how you define 'better.' But there is one thing that Mercedes has that Lexus will never have: an incredibile heritage of building advance technology cars for more than one hundred years. Separately as Benz and Daimler and then together as Mercedes Benz, these cars have always been at the forefront of automotive technology. Mercedes Benz has a significant racing history as well. Mercedes has been a prestige auto that people have aspired to own for all of the 20th century and into the 21st. Lexus came about as a marketing decision by Toyota in the late 80s to get into the luxury car business. The same thing that Huyandai is doing with its Genesis and its new Equis. This may not be important to most people, but I like it that the philosphy behind which my car was built is based on the visions of two automotive pioneers of the late 19th century.
Drinking a bit of the Koolaid, eh?

Your perception of the prestige was manufactured also. Much of it by the customer base, some by the marketing guys. It's a little different on this side of the world.

It's highly disputable about them being on the forefront of technology.

You speak of the philosophy of the founders, yet look at the massive problems people are having with Mercedes, from new cars, to ones only a few years old, having problems cars should not be getting, especially at those ages. If you're saying the philosophy is half engineering everything, making sure things don't last very long, and high replacement parts and labor costs, then you're 100% correct. Mercedes is excellent for this, living on the reputation they made decades ago.

Also, what about their philosophy between 1939 and 1945?

Really, it's a car, and this is a perfect example of people getting their personal being too tied up in them. They are replaceable, expendable, crashable, and have no souls, like Americans think of things that come out of Germany.

Suffice to say, it would be much better to own a soul-less Toyota than dealing with the haggles of Mercedes ownership, such as dealing with apologists who love and ignore all the massive and expensive problems people have with these cars. Provided they're running at all and Mercedes isn't pretending the problems don't exist.

Who cares what they're doing and how and how Toyota made a luxury brand. I'm not the hottest about most of the Lexus line, but they did a damn good job on them, and even right off the bat when Mercedes was still using CIS. In fact, even Audi abandoned CIS before Mercedes did.

Technological forefront? Well, throughout the 80's, that was going to the Audi Quattro- fuel injection, all wheel drive, ABS, electronically controlled turbo, digital ignition systems, high specific hp numbers, external wastegate, negative axis steering, locking differentials, aerodynamics, and so forth.

I hardly call Mercedes' usage of Superchargers groundbreaking, either, considering how inefficient they are, and often used as a simple solution to get more power without having to invest in developing the proper camshaft profiles and exhaust layout, as well as the electronics to fully exploit a turbocharger.

At this point, a technological breakthrough for Mercedes would be to make a car that is reliable, doesn't have engine, transmission, electrical, suspension, brake, cooling, and body problems. However, since people keep buying into their olde tyme games and stories and fables, they have no reason to because the customers will keep coming back...again and again and again because they haven't had enough servings of dogshit half-assed engineered cars that last barely ten years without repair costs becoming a down payment on a home.

Last edited by jerk_chicken; 09-08-2009 at 03:12 AM.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
You want reliability? Go Lexus/Toyota. You want safety? Mercedes Benz. No matter how good the Japanese automakers say their safety systems are German cars are always much much sturdier. Well at least the older ones. The new cars are always tested at high speeds. Look at it this way...in San Francisco over the last 20 yrs there has been two head on collisions on the world famous Golden Gate Bridge when some fool crosses the middle line and crashed into on coming traffic. Each of those two times it involved a BMW 5 series and always a Mercedes E class for some weird reason. Both times the E class owner made it out alive while the BMW driver was crushed or killed instantly. Granted the last E class owner bit out their own tongue during the crash but thats much easier to deal with than losing your life. The choice is yours. Mercedes-Benz or else.

There is one rule...there are no rules!

Last edited by Runninrebel211; 09-09-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in