Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I asked this on Lexus forum but all I got was bashing on how much Lexus is bettrr then Mercedes..
post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 09:59 AM
POS
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1966 250SE Cab, 1989 500SEL euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Sorry, I love the older Mercedes and I might be persuaded to buy a new S-class, but I'm on my second LS430 and the car is phenomenal; reliable as hell, fast, quiet, and a joy in which to be relaxed driving. I equate the LS430 to the w126 when the w126 was the top dog - not a sporting car but an excellent sedan with a lot of power and reliability.

That said, I drive my 35k-mile w126 500SE a couple of times a week and the character that car has is unmatched by the LS430.

- Brian

1989 500SEL ECE
1966 Mercedes 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS View Post
Sorry, I love the older Mercedes and I might be persuaded to buy a new S-class, but I'm on my second LS430 and the car is phenomenal; reliable as hell, fast, quiet, and a joy in which to be relaxed driving. I equate the LS430 to the w126 when the w126 was the top dog - not a sporting car but an excellent sedan with a lot of power and reliability.

That said, I drive my 35k-mile w126 500SE a couple of times a week and the character that car has is unmatched by the LS430.
This whole realiable propaganda s a marketining technique by Lexus, my neighbour has a LS and he needs to maintainance it alot and the LS is a ugly car inside and out..

Mercedes is built with premium quality materials.

Lexus is built with cheap asian materials.

The build quality and performance of a Mercedes is unmatched..

This whole realiability issue was only a problem with the 1999-2002 W220..
post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2000 w203 c200k (Yes, it's a w203 from Germany)
Quote:
LS is a ugly car inside and out
Could be your opinion. Some also tend to prefer function over form to an extent. A nice looking car only goes so far when the transmission isn't shifting at 5k miles. So long as it's not "The Homer" or an Aztec, people will elect to drive cars that work, that they can rely on, and have actual dealer support, unlike Mercedes.
Quote:
This whole realiable propaganda s a marketining technique by Lexus
Many on this forum wish that was true. However, many who bought a Lexus over a Benz are laughing and happy.
Quote:
Mercedes is built with premium quality materials.
From China, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and other low cost countries throughout Europe. Eventually Kaliningrad.
Quote:
Lexus is built with cheap asian materials.
If one can call Japanese labor and materials "cheap", considering their manufacturing sector has deteriorated over two decades to the point where it's too expensive for even them to produce there. Part of it is their exacting shipment and scheduling standards,which were once maligned by other automakers and labor unions, now industry standards.

Quote:
The build quality and performance of a Mercedes is unmatched..
Sand castles can be built better than a mercedes at this point. Put a little dogshit on top, and it will also be unmatched.

Anyhow, this trolling action was fun, but at least with me, you won't find me being an apologist for the crap Mercedes puts out there and the people who defend them because of the perception of prestige. For christ's sake, it's a car. People wrap themselves too much into them.
post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerk_chicken View Post
For christ's sake, it's a car. People wrap themselves too much into them.
Do you mean people who post on forums at least 410 times? Sorry, but your post makes me laugh because you clearly "wrap yourself up" in cars as much as the rest of us here since you went through the trouble of registering at an automotive forum, where people only talk about cars day in and day out. I'm sorry your first-year edition of a model known to be one of the most problematic in the entire working history of Mercedes-Benz has turned you off to the brand, and that's certainly fair and I would be angry too, but for the most part the rest of us are lifelong devotees to MB simply because we LOVE the cars they build. Everything from the way the door feels when you close it to the perfect resistance each and every switch & button your hand comes in contact with has, means a hell of a lot more to me than what some marketing division prints in a magazine ad. If things are this bad for you, may I suggest trading for another MB and see what you think of it? I'd imagine you would be surprised by how much you can love a car that doesn't drive you mad with expenses and breakdowns.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook

"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2006 S500, 2002 CLK320, 1980 300SD Turbo, 1995 C220, 2003 ML350, Kawasaki Ninja 500R, Yamaha YZF600R
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I have a bit of a sentimental thing for Mercedes for a number of reasons (and I don't know if anyone really shares my feelings here, I'd be surprised if so).

Firstly, I kind of *hate* cars. I like working on them a lot, but I really don't like them - weird I know. I started to hate them when I started riding motorcycles for all kinds of reasons.

Secondly, I don't drive fast. I'm not interested in making my car a fake F1 car and racing idiots on the road and endangering people. Also I don't think it's fun or exciting, I think it's stressful and stupid. So I drive the speed limit.

Third, there is a history and dignity behind the name and the style that I have always loved. It was always good taste, elegance, class that attracted me to Benz.

Fourth, don't buy a Benz if you aren't ready to spend money on it. I wouldn't go so far to say that they are unreliable, but if I wasn't mechanically inclined and interested on working on the car, I wouldn't get one (unless I was rich, which I am not )

So, IMHO, Benz is like a husky -there are no other dogs like them and they are gorgeous, immediately recognizable and come from an old line. If you don't walk them enough they will destroy your life and there will be a dog on your counter at 2am because it is too hyper.

High maitenence is what I am getting at, the price we pay.

The fact that you are even asking this question makes me think you need a Lexus.
post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2000 w203 c200k (Yes, it's a w203 from Germany)
I don't know. My car hasn't been that problematic, outside of a couple of glitches, but the problems the dealer caused were way worse. Covered under warranty, though. However, it's got an m111, which, from what I hear, is way more durable than an m271.

Luckily, I positioned myself in life in a way that a car is not needed for my daily life, and is more or a burden, as I travel quite well without one.

And maybe you didn't get it: the family has 7, now down to six Mercedes, not including the ones I grew up with. Half of the cars in my building are Mercedes, all have had issues. And I didn't register to wrap my being up in it. If you go to my first posts, they were likely about some issue, or question, then I vanished for a year. Maybe I'll make myself comfortable here, though.

Last edited by jerk_chicken; 09-15-2009 at 12:01 PM.
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2006 S500, 2002 CLK320, 1980 300SD Turbo, 1995 C220, 2003 ML350, Kawasaki Ninja 500R, Yamaha YZF600R
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspslim View Post
I asked this on Lexus forum but all I got was bashing on how much Lexus is bettrr then Mercedes..
This is because we, as people, are better than them.
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 2002 CLK 430 & 1989 Camaro RS Fuel Injected
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspslim View Post
Take that and observe. We will tell you the truth which slightly points in our direction. But the majority of lexus owners are so caught up in the thought in the back of their mind that the Mercs are better, that all they can say is how good or better their vehicles are, instead of the pros and cons of both with an educated conclusion. So it seems the Lexus owners are not smart enough to live honest lives, and are still in there first stages of learning in life, where the Mercs owners are at a wiser level, where there is no need to lie or fiter the facts.
Ask Kobe who is better, him or Shaq. If hejust says how Shaq sucks then what does it look like, he is jealous for some reason. Which might not mean Shaq is better, but it shows confidence. Even though Kobe is better all around, Shaq dominates in his expertise so well that he can keep up in over all scoring and effectivness position wise.

So, in the end you want a safe car, because after all what does reliability mean if you are not alive to enjoy it's benifits.

Stereotypes are never 100% false!

"Life is fraud when your fake, but it's so hard when your real."
"A lie has speed, but truth has endurance." -Edgar J. Mohn
"What up black cop, every brother ain't no brother." -Styles P
"Fat people on elevators are self explanatory and count as two for safety reasons."
"...and if you're going to die for a cause let be cause I was high, and they tried to take the Benz!"

G's Up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in