Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2010 E550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2010 E 550 Oil Change

My dealer advised me that oil changes are to be done only every 10,000
miles. I would personally feel much better about the whole situation if I could change my own oil a little more frequently.
I was advised that oil changes in Mercedes,unlike american cars, are more detailed and it was recommended that I do not attempt such maintenance.
I.however , have changed my own oil for years-----never in a Mercedes though because this is my first.
Can someone please shed a little light on this matter ? I really want to do as much maintenance on this car as possible,what little there seems to do !
I know a fleece filter,preferably Mann,and Mobil One Synthetic are imperative.
Any details on the actual procedure will be greatly appreciated. I tried search for oil changes but came up dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Oil change has been pretty much the same for MB engines for decades. Easy if you siphon oil and have any basic experience. Note that Mobil one synthetic may not be approved for an MB at all. It needs to be MB 229.5 grade Mobil 1 synthetic (what ever the exact blend is). You should find DIY guides with photos from some of the model specific forums, the same or a similar engine is used on other models.

But you really should not do it before 10 000 miles, no need with modern oil unless your driving conditions are something extremely exotic. FSS gave me 19 000 miles on my Euro car and it is a diesel with dirtier oil.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
I agreed, do not do it before 10,000 miles and being that is only once a year, you might just want to take it to the dealer.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
My thanks to both who have replied. Being new to MB ownership, I cannot understand the extremely long oil change duration. I served as a
pilot in the USMC until I retired,which does not qualify me as an oil expert by any means; I would like to understand how Mercedes is able to
have such long oil life compared to all American vehicles. I appreciate the
suggestions for observing MB specs regarding oil change milage intervals, however,what enables the oil to hold up for such unusually long periods ?
I have consulted on-line representations of MB oil change and they
show my filter on top of the engine,it is not! I have attempted to obtain an
OEM maintenance manual at my dealership but none are available yet--according to the parts dept.
The monetary aspect of the oil change is secondary to my questioning the oil longevity. I and my wife would surely like this car to last us through retirement and possibly be past on to our children. We have saved all our lives for retirement and are trying to ensure that everything lasts as long as possible. Hope I'm not beating this subject to death but "inquiring minds need to know". Peace of mind is more important , at this stage of our life, than
operating manuals---which from years of gov't experience---I know to
contain many errors !
Thank you again for the replies.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 01:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergatroid View Post
My thanks to both who have replied. Being new to MB ownership, I cannot understand the extremely long oil change duration. I served as a
pilot in the USMC until I retired,which does not qualify me as an oil expert by any means; I would like to understand how Mercedes is able to
have such long oil life compared to all American vehicles. I appreciate the
suggestions for observing MB specs regarding oil change milage intervals, however,what enables the oil to hold up for such unusually long periods ?
I have consulted on-line representations of MB oil change and they
show my filter on top of the engine,it is not! I have attempted to obtain an
OEM maintenance manual at my dealership but none are available yet--according to the parts dept.
The monetary aspect of the oil change is secondary to my questioning the oil longevity. I and my wife would surely like this car to last us through retirement and possibly be past on to our children. We have saved all our lives for retirement and are trying to ensure that everything lasts as long as possible. Hope I'm not beating this subject to death but "inquiring minds need to know". Peace of mind is more important , at this stage of our life, than
operating manuals---which from years of gov't experience---I know to
contain many errors !
Thank you again for the replies.
Mercedes uses synthetic oil, fleece filters, and takes 8-9 quarts of oil. 10k is the norm for high end European cars. Some American companies that use conventional oil are recommending 5k oil change intervals with less oil capacity and paper filter elements, so it should not be surprising or worrying that the Europeans recommend 10k or more on synthetic w/fleece filters.

The filter should beat the top of the engine, common with Mercedes, and one of the reasons why the oil change on these cars are one of the easiest to change the oil on. You probably can't see it because it is underneath the engine cover. Take that off and you'll see it. The only reason you will ever need to go under the car when changing the oil is to drain it, if you decide not to vacuum/siphon it out.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

#6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 PM
RKH
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SL500 Panoramic Roof
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
While there is no harm changing oil more often than need (it only harms your wallet), I think you can trust the FSS for schedule recommendation. The MB FSS is more than just a computer that "estimates" change interval , it actually measures the quality of oil (by passing an electric current through it) to determine if it is any good.

Don't know if this applies to new Mercedes or not : some cars like Honda are factory fill with special additive in their oil for the 'break in' period and they (Honda) has a warning as not to change that initial oil until after the first 10K miles. So you should check it out with your Dealer if you are talking about a 2010 which would be a NEW car.

Last edited by RKH; 09-03-2009 at 03:43 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergatroid View Post
My thanks to both who have replied. Being new to MB ownership, I cannot understand the extremely long oil change duration.
It's because it's the 21st century now, and oil isn't what it used to be.

You should know that this very same car with the very same engine and the very same motor oil is allowed something like 20k (TWENTY) miles between oil changes in Europe. The 10K is a "political compromise" promulgated by MBUSA in the face of the fact the USA contains so many oil change geniuses. Plus, the dealers feel a bit left out of the revenue stream.

So, what you feel is "extremely long" is in fact about half the design intent.

You will in fact NOT be doing your engine any favors changing the oil at shorter intervals.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
#8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:54 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank all who have assisted me in my quest for info.. I now rest assured that using a Mann fleece filter,Mobil One full synthetic 0W-40 oil meeting MB approval 229.5,and a
suction device to remove the used oil, all will go well.
......( I stand corrected,the oil filter is on top of the engine and covered by the plastic
engine shield.)
When the time arrives for the change,I'll post the results ! Thanks once again !-----
#9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKH View Post
While there is no harm changing oil more often
This in fact is erroneous

You should know first of all that the original oil in the engine is a breakin oil and should be there for 10K miles.

Also understand that detergents are designed to work in the first portion of the oil's sump life and maintaining full detergency all the time by short-filling oil changes is not a good thing.

Read following and ignore fact it's about diesels because that makes no difference.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=15

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI

Last edited by lkchris; 09-04-2009 at 02:22 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1999 S320
As for american cars. My everyday car is a 2006 buick and it has a 7500 mile oil change interval. Almost as high as the MB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.