post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Member Intro - E350 ?s

Hey All,

Long time reader, first time poster. Thanks for having me!

I'm about to purchase my first Mercedes but had a few questions for you experts before doing so. Want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money and not walking into any beartraps. It's been 7 years since I purchased a car (new or used).

My 2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S has been a trusted companion for many years. Bought with 44K miles in 2003 and still running fairly strong with 135K now. Some minor issues are lurking and with new tires, paint work, timing belt, radiator maintenance, etc. on the horizon, I think it's time to cut ties and purchase a new vehicle. They killed off the CLs and I pretty much despise how the 2009 + TLs look so I've expanded my horizons.

Came across a 2006 E350 that has the features I'm looking for and less than 30K miles. Selling price looks good and dealership (not MB but reputable) seems willing to play ball.

Any widely known issues with this year / model? Since I wouldn't be purchasing from MB CPO, it would only have about 8-9 months left on the initial factory warranty. After that, I think I could get an extended warranty through 100K miles for $2K or so. What should I look for in the fine-print if I get a third party warranty?

Anything else I should know or look for upon purchasing? Again, haven't bought a car since graduating from college 7 years ago and while that car ran well for years, I didn't exactly get a good deal back then.

I can finance if I'm offered a good APR and possibly pay cash if that shows some good savings potential.

Last edited by Mavsfan; 09-03-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Supporting Vendor
Date registered: Jul 2008
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Welcome to the Forum. I don't know of any issues with that year or model off the top of my head but with any used car, just give it a good once over. Also, I don't recommend getting an extended warranty. I feel they are a waste and you should just take the money you were going to spend on the warranty and put it in a savings account just in case you ever need it. And if you don't need it, you just saved some good money.

Quality & Service, Guaranteed for Life
FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
My advice is to buy a CPO from a dealer and pay to extend that warranty for as long as MB allows these days. As far as i know, there is nothing inherently wrong with a 2006 E350. That is 4 years into the chassis run and MB fixed the bugs by then. Those were facelifted in 2007 so have a look at those too since you might like 1 year newer for not much more money.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!

Last edited by Musikmann; 09-02-2009 at 06:13 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks, Guys! I found a CPO from a MB dealership for a 2007 E350 that looks nice. It's about $6K more with slightly less features and similar mileage to the 2006. I'll at least give it a looksy since $6K for a newer model with warranty isn't that bad.

I'll do some searching here as well before making a decision. Thanks again for comments and warm welcome.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: