I recently acquired a 2006 C230, Black on Black, fully loaded, and there are a few issues that came along with it so I have my work cut out for me.
I technically "co-signed" on this car a little over a year ago to help a friend but she has since handled the situation very irresponsibly. Without going into great detail, if you have ever seen an episode of Judge Joe Brown or one of those other court shows on TV where someone gets their friend gets a car or a cell phone in their name and their friend screws up everything, refuses to pay for anything, and then stands there in court like, "Huh? What did I do wrong?"..essentially that's what happened to me.
Being that everything is in my name, I simply decided that I would repo the car. To my dismay, when I picked up the car tonight, it was TRASHED.
It's 4000+ miles and 3 months overdue for scheduled maintenance, the passenger side mirror is broken off, the bumper has paint on it from other cars, food wrappers and other garbage all over the interior, the brakes are down to the metal and wheels are so deeply coated in brake dust that they match the color of the car.
It also has some minor scratches, and ding marks but I was still annoyed that someone could treat this car so terribly.
Even though I am a BMW man, I am considering keeping the 230 for myself. After I cleaned it out and washed it up a little, it's starting to look like a new car again. I drove it around town today and it's a fun car to drive but it looks like a "chick car".
I felt kind of weird at the gas station today with everyone staring at me. I don't know if it was because I looked like a wuss driving my girlfriend's/wife's car or if it had to do with the fact that I am 6'3" and 350 lbs. and when I got out, everyone was amazed at how such a big guy can get out of such a little car.
So I am going to spend the next week or so searching the threads to learn how to fix everything that is wrong with the car, how to remove that sealed panel that covers the engine and how to reset the computer. Hopefully I won't have to take it to the dealer for much of anything being that I do most of my own repair work on my other cars.
So with all of that said, I have a few questions:
1. Can most of the service related items be done in my garage?
2. How much does a duplicate key normally cost? How hard is it to get one?
3. Is there a way to retrofit an earlier model ignition switch or to change out the smart-key to a standard lock? (I don't know if I can get used to the smart key)
4. Is the built-in mobile phone specific to a particular carrier or can I choose my mobile provider?
5. How the heck do you work that "joystick" of a transmission shifter? (this is a sport version of the C230 with the C/S switch) Besides.. what does that C/S switch do?
6. What are those buttons under the rear view mirror for?
As you can probably figure out, I had not had a late model car (let alone a MB) in years! LOL