post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Aug 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New C230 Owner

Hello Everyone!

I recently acquired a 2006 C230, Black on Black, fully loaded, and there are a few issues that came along with it so I have my work cut out for me.

I technically "co-signed" on this car a little over a year ago to help a friend but she has since handled the situation very irresponsibly. Without going into great detail, if you have ever seen an episode of Judge Joe Brown or one of those other court shows on TV where someone gets their friend gets a car or a cell phone in their name and their friend screws up everything, refuses to pay for anything, and then stands there in court like, "Huh? What did I do wrong?"..essentially that's what happened to me.

Being that everything is in my name, I simply decided that I would repo the car. To my dismay, when I picked up the car tonight, it was TRASHED. It's 4000+ miles and 3 months overdue for scheduled maintenance, the passenger side mirror is broken off, the bumper has paint on it from other cars, food wrappers and other garbage all over the interior, the brakes are down to the metal and wheels are so deeply coated in brake dust that they match the color of the car. It also has some minor scratches, and ding marks but I was still annoyed that someone could treat this car so terribly.

Even though I am a BMW man, I am considering keeping the 230 for myself. After I cleaned it out and washed it up a little, it's starting to look like a new car again. I drove it around town today and it's a fun car to drive but it looks like a "chick car".

I felt kind of weird at the gas station today with everyone staring at me. I don't know if it was because I looked like a wuss driving my girlfriend's/wife's car or if it had to do with the fact that I am 6'3" and 350 lbs. and when I got out, everyone was amazed at how such a big guy can get out of such a little car.

So I am going to spend the next week or so searching the threads to learn how to fix everything that is wrong with the car, how to remove that sealed panel that covers the engine and how to reset the computer. Hopefully I won't have to take it to the dealer for much of anything being that I do most of my own repair work on my other cars.

So with all of that said, I have a few questions:

1. Can most of the service related items be done in my garage?

2. How much does a duplicate key normally cost? How hard is it to get one?

3. Is there a way to retrofit an earlier model ignition switch or to change out the smart-key to a standard lock? (I don't know if I can get used to the smart key)

4. Is the built-in mobile phone specific to a particular carrier or can I choose my mobile provider?

5. How the heck do you work that "joystick" of a transmission shifter? (this is a sport version of the C230 with the C/S switch) Besides.. what does that C/S switch do?

6. What are those buttons under the rear view mirror for?

As you can probably figure out, I had not had a late model car (let alone a MB) in years! LOL
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: CL500, E430, SLK, Subaru...
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess your car size standards are a little different - you should take a look at an A class if you think the C is a small car...

1) most items? yes, but there are things the dealer will need to do like reading codes and resetting the indicator

2) A lot. $200 would be my guess based on UK prices and converting to $

3) retrofit: nah

4) that's a US question; in Europe the answer is no, but things are different over there...

5) C/S. C=cruise, that is, relaxed. S = standard (or some say, sport). I guess from what you say that you have actually driven the car around, so there's not much else to say about the shifter other than that you take it out of park and do the normal stuff in D. It may be that your car has the 7-speed gearbox, in which case so long as you have enough fluid in there, it will be smarter about shifting than you can manage anyway, so just drive with your foot and steer with your hands, kinda thing.

6) at a guess: garage door openers? Courtesy lights?

London, right in the middle
03 CL500 (Black/Grey, 48k, Comand, 7GTronic, Keyless Go) 302 Bhp
01 E430 (Silver/Black, 112k, Comand, Lingua, 7 seats, tow...) 275 Bhp
97 SLK (40k, Yellowstone, partner's car!) 200 Bhp
03 A210 AMG (Black/Black, 63k, project rescue car) 140 Bhp

...I make that 917 Bhp...!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome to Benzworld
You can download a owners manual from a link in my signature for more info on your c230.
Sorry to hear about the way the car was treated.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: