LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1996 500SL Convertible with 59k miles

Have to replace my Miata with a vehicle that's higher and an automatic. Always craved a Mercedes convertible. This is a bit old but low mileage - any thoughts on whether this is worth looking at? I am not a car person - like to drive but not into maintenance.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Depends on the price and if the seller has records for the vehicle. I would still have an independant mercedes shop do a pre-purchase inspection.

Mike
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2009
(Thread Starter)
Asking price is 15k

This is about bluebook.... Don't know Mercedes repair reputation - Jag's for example are pretty high maintenance.
Eileen
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 03:39 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jul 2005
Send a message via MSN to interiormagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantolima View Post
This is about bluebook.... Don't know Mercedes repair reputation - Jag's for example are pretty high maintenance.
Eileen
stop it, cannot compare those 2, we are in a class all by ourself, the industry take 2-3 years to try to come up with an answer for everything we do, we are the leader and everybody else just follow, so of course they try to make up for it in customer satisfaction, driving a Benz make you and your family safe feels safe, i can deal with the little problems we get, i'm on my 11th Benz and i have been in accident with a 18 wheeler, a truck and a big cargo truck and we made it out with no injuries, thanks to Mercedes Benz safety features and the best frame in the world, i would put that against the reputation crap anytime, if you want a Honda go get one, they will last you a lifetime, but hope you don't get in an accident with one or a damn jag with they electronic problems. Stop the Benz bashing!!! sorry, but, i'm just tired of it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 03:46 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jul 2005
Send a message via MSN to interiormagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantolima View Post
Have to replace my Miata with a vehicle that's higher and an automatic. Always craved a Mercedes convertible. This is a bit old but low mileage - any thoughts on whether this is worth looking at? I am not a car person - like to drive but not into maintenance.

TIA.
depend on the price, get it, you will love driving the car around, a step above anything on the market even for that year. make sure everything is taking of by the owner or dealership, check to see if the soft top works like it should with no leaks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
You're looking at an R129. And I believe it's SL500 rather than 500SL. Somewhere early in the model run (the R129 was made from 1990-2002) the nomenclature was changed. I have an '01 SL500 that is a wonderful touring car. While it will do 0-60 in 6 seconds and is limited to 155 mph (Z rated tires) it is not a sports car in the same way your Miata is. It isn't a Corvette either. Of course your Miata didn't have an MSRP of $80-90k either. A '96 will have the M119 twin-cam motor which some say is "better" than the M113 in later models, but there is no performance difference between them. The hydraulic cylinders that move the hardtop are an issue (there are 13 of them), and there are some wiring harness problems in earlier models, but I don't think the '96 is one. I suggest you go to the R129 forum and ask the guys there what they think. The hardtop is a definite asset if your car has one--the car becomes a coupe; quiet and solid with the hardtop in place. The R129 is a relatively simple car for a MRZ; a lot of routine stuff can be done yourself, and it can be done by a competent mechanic rather than the dealer. If you run the VIN you can find out whether it has the sport package, xenon lights, and some other attractive options.

Good luck. You'll have a blast if you know what you're buying.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in