LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New member - with an emergency brake problem

We bought a 1983 240D last year for a son going to college. (He picked the car, likes the styling.) The car shows its age, but runs fine. Recently he heard some noise, and found the right rear control arm rusting through. He bought one over the Internet, and even took the car helfway apart to do the job himself, before a mechanic friend suggested he leave it to someone with the proper tools.

He took it to a local repair shop with certified M-B techs, and when he called noted that the emercengy brake line on his replacement was shorter that the line that was already in the car, so to make sure they kept the longer line so it would fit. He got an estimate (around $350) , and told the shop to go ahead with the repairs.

Today he picked up the car, and was told by the shop owner that his mechanic could not disconnect the longer emergency brake line from the car, so he had to cut it off. My son challemged the man as to why he cut it off at the other end, rather than leaving it in to repair. The guy hemmed and hawed. "So you telling me my car will be unusable (won't pass state inspection)." "Yeah, kinda like that."

He charged twice as much a another mechanic estimnated for the job, and broke down nothing on the receipt. Of course, he offered to repair the "broken" line, and included an estimate, and made sure my sone signed an acknowledgement that the shop had informed him of the brake line "problem." My sdn paid the bill, and left fulkly upset, and with a nonfunctioning emergency brake.

Okay, I said all that to get opinions. From what I've written, can you tell me whether the mechanic did the right thing? (Seems a certified mechanic would have solved the problem and fixed it, since he cut the line.) Does my son have recourse to deal with the shop, since they disabled his emertgency brake, then offered to fix it for a price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks. The car is my son's, but it's one of the few cars I can say I have actually enjoyed driving - might even pickup another one just like it, age problems and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in