post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190E 2.3 engine Automatic, 2002 C240 2.6 Automatic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
First Benz: 1984 190E in Asheville NC

I just recently found this site. It's great!

I'm over 50, and found this 190E sitting on the side of a street about a block from my house here in Asheville. I drove by it almost daily and noticed that nobody ever drove it. It sat there for over a year and a half. One day, I saw an orange police tow sticker on the windshield. I stopped and asked around at some of the houses as to who owns this Benz? I found the owners house and knocked on the door. They said they had had alot of trouble with it and had just parked it. I told them about the orange tow tag, and offered them $200 to come and haul the car away for them, left my phone number, and left the house. Never dreamed that they would even consider the offer.

The next afternoon, they called me. SOLD! I ordered a Haynes manual from the local Auto-Zone that day, and took posession of the car on 4/7/2007. I took my truck to jump-start it. After about 15 minutes of letting the battery sit there and charge, it finally turned over enough to actually start. It has the 2.3 four cylinder engine and is an automatic.

I drove it home. It barely ran, and never shifted out of low gear.

The day we signed the title over to me, I found out that the previous owners had bought the car on Craigslist about 2 years before I got it. It gave them lots of trouble and wouldnt run well enough to really drive. Thats why they parked it.

They paid alot more for it than I did. They also replaced the factory Becker radio with a Pioneer CD player, and had a new windshield installed. I was lucky to find the Becker radio in the trunk, along with a load of engine parts that had been removed and laid in the trunk too.

I got the Haynes manual, and found that the original MB service manual would be better for me, so I got one online. I reinstalled all the emission control parts found in the trunk and the vacuum leaks started going away.
Now it would run, but would not idle. Also, would not shift gears. Changed the oil and topped everything off.

A new vacuum modulator cured that shift problem. Then, I started driving it.

Lifters started clattering. The oil lines in the head were all but clogged. My local Benz service tech cleared them as best he could, and replaced all 8 lifters. Over time, the engine has quieted down, and now the oil pressure gauge does not peg when I start the car.

In the last few months, I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter. Then, ran 13 tanks of fuel injector cleaner through it. Now, after over 2 years, it idles and runs pretty good.

I rebuilt the Becker radio and re-installed it in the car. Sure sounds better than that silly Pioneer did.

It has become my daily driver. I love the way it handles, and drives. I do a 30 mile commute every day. The gas mileage is improving.

All in all, I spent about $1300 getting this car fixed up. Most of the money went to correct things that were fixed before.... incorrectly.... Like the push-button switch installed above the brake pedal that I had to use to start the car! It's all been put back to factory spec now. A used ignition lock assembly fixed the already mentioned problem.

I have access to several parts cars at a local shop. What this shop didn't have, I got from the local Benz dealer.

I will post some pictures soon.

I dont usually ramble on about a car. It's just that this is the best ride that I have ever owned, and the car this car replaces is a 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado with a V8 enginethat has only 89k on the odometer! I'm very glad this car came to me. I think it was ment to happen, and I'm glad I was able to do most of the labor to get it back in shape.

Asheville NC

Last edited by holmesuser01; 08-28-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190E 2.3 engine Automatic, 2002 C240 2.6 Automatic
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Here's a pix of the car the day after it arrived at my house.
Attached Images
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1998 SLK230 199,xxx Miles
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: