LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post Hello Everyone! (A somewhat long introduction)

I ran across this site looking for solutions to some recent troubles with my 1990 300SE. I purchased the vehicle approximately 2.5 years ago and have been in love with it ever since! It's a great ride and is in pretty good condition for its 165K miles (at least, I think it is).

One of the most prominent issues I've encountered has been the oil pan. It appears to be the lowest-hanging item on the underside of the car, and, unfortunately, I live in a very hill-y kind of place. I replaced it once for the very ouchy price of $850. That was almost two years ago now. Well, just this past Monday it popped another hole and I thought I was in for another hit to my wallet (rather, my credit, heh - who has this kind of money anymore?). Fortunately, with the loving help of my know-more-than-I-do about-cars family, it is now patched with a bolt and some JB weld. It seems to be holding up pretty well. There are some other issues I'd like to address relating to this issue, including, having the suspension/shocks checked for sagging, the engine block mounts checked for the same, and looking into whether I have the correct tires (I believe that the previous owner purchased lower profile tires).

Another big issue for me right now (and what brought me to this site) is the serpentine belt and tensioner. My girl recently started screeching like a banshee and it seems to be getting rapidly worse (louder, more frequent). At this point, I'm not sure which is the problem because I can't find any reliable information and diagrams on how to tighten the belt and/or how to replace the tensioner. (Actually, I found some info here through some forum searches, but I don't think it gives all the information I need).

I have considered investing in a repair guide or something similar, but I'm not sure what publisher, etc. is best for the issues I'm facing. Plus, upon a quick check, it seems like they can get expensive (and take time to ship). (Besides, budget issues are the whole reason I've become an avid DIYer).

Looking around the forums, it seems like there is a wealth of information around here! I hope I can find some answers. (Don't let my ridiculous nick turn you off - I admit I wasnt ready to commit to another online profile and now I can't figure out how to change it).

Anyway, HELLO, and thanks for reading! Feel free to drop me any suggestions here if you have them, but I do plan on posting questions in the appropriate forums.

-foo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in