Key chip not recognised? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: SL500 2005 Purchased 2014 (It's a Classic)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Key chip not recognised?

Been using Keylees-go for 2 years now- hot weather-issue started??

Key chip not recognised!”! is the warning. if I drive the car with the key it behaves. If I use keyless – go card all hell breaks loose. it will start in car using keyless go; but it shuts down within seconds and the steering wheel keeps resetting itself. (moving up and down)

I have to disconnect the battery or face a flat battery within two days....
£87,000.00 and why it is not saying “logic or system board failed” home computers tell one more. it fact Network servers tell one loads more!! any idea??
Any help... Thanking you, With Kind Regards,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 02:07 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2010

Hey, Thanks for bringing this up...I am facing a similar issue these days. Everyone please help, we are two of a kind now.
-----------------
Does anyone know where I can find really hardcore technical information about smart cards?. I'm doing a report for the company I'm working for so it's kinda important.
-----------------
smart card
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
The key chips "just dying" is not that rare for Mercedes.
My local adviser says it happens.
Model, year Please?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: SL500 2005 Purchased 2014 (It's a Classic)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
The key chips "just dying" is not that rare for Mercedes.
My local adviser says it happens.
Model, year Please?
Great someone interested!

MBS500 2001 model 75,000 miles I only travel 2-3000 miles a year Keyless-Go has been fine for 18 months then one hot afternoon it failed to respond. This was last July 2009 I switched over to Key fob and no issues but found that the battery was flat (drained) after 3-5 days when left idle.

Therefore, it was not due for an MOT, so I continued with the issue until I booked it in for a service and MOT.
The MB engineers diagnosed the car with one issue the Tyre pressure sensor failed and they replaced it (it still comes up with reset Tyre pressure) cost £250 approx
MOT went fine no issues but when I go to a petrol station the car’s computer system shutdown so back to the MB Engineers and they said, it is the crank sensor thing and I paid out about the same again.

The next day I went for a ride to test the car and had no issues!! the next day the battery was flat I charged it back up and it started with Tyre pressure and Key chip not recognized with the icon of a Key I have to disconnect the battery and lock the car with the metal key I have notice that the car now has started to not over heat, but it used to stay around 85 now it hits the 100 degrees but as soon as I am on the motorway it returns to 85.
I do not use the car that much its just inconvenient.

I had MB for 20 years but this is the worst car I have ever owned. For MB to build a car with its sole reliance on a computer that is outside in the elements is total madness!

Today I have also notice that the display (speedo rev) is starting to flicker.
I am now thinking that the value of this model is worthless and I am not going to spend any more money on this car unless the MB engineers say “ it’s only going to cost xxx amount” to fix it, but they just say these cars are very complicated it could be anything?? If I said, that to the company I was fixing their computer network I would be sacked!

and don't tell me that disconnecting the battery can be the cause of my troubles because that's bull! I have left the car with the battery charger set to maintain for weeks and it don't make no difference.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
So you are British? You can put location and model in your profile for better response in the future.
Your S is a bigger brother of my W210 E class, so I know the frustration with the electronics. Maybe there is a good thing I don't have the keyless go I was always dreaming about?
Anyway, our W210 section is way more active than other on this forum, so you can find lot of answers there. Fact is that our cars are first generation of computers that have wheels and roll on the roads. Not only cars have baby teeth, but mechanics have to learn the electronics and bad news is, that they learn it on customer wallet.
In US we do have national hot-line where we can call and complain about untrained dealers. What do you have?
Anyway, the keyless option is more exposed in W211 section, but still this is rare option. If you don't find advise how to deal with the knob key in your car section -you are welcome to ask questions in W210
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in