R230 SL500 VS 2007 Jaguar XK8? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
R230 SL500 VS 2007 Jaguar XK8?

Which would you rather get for around $35K, a 2004 or 2005 SL500 or a 2007 Jaguar XK8 cabrio? I know I won't get an unbaised answer on a Benz forum but what the heck, might as well ask.
CLK Operator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:18 PM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Location: FL
Posts: 4,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both are bad choices, but I think the Jag is slightly worse. Why not get something that you can actually drive or do you like shop cars?
mr.xpowerseller is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
Both are bad choices, but I think the Jag is slightly worse. Why not get something that you can actually drive or do you like shop cars?

LOL, I want a toy. I already have a Jag sedan and a Ford conversion van as "regular" rides, want a cabrio for weekends. I sold my CLK and now have a bad case of "seller's remorse."
CLK Operator is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:27 PM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Location: FL
Posts: 4,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You already have a Jag and you want another? There is something wrong with that picture. Why not save some money and get a solid reliable 02 SL500. With that type of budget you could get with super low miles and possibly even a special Silver Arrow edition.
mr.xpowerseller is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
You already have a Jag and you want another? There is something wrong with that picture. Why not save some money and get a solid reliable 02 SL500. With that type of budget you could get with super low miles and possibly even a special Silver Arrow edition.

Yes because it has been VERY reliable and solid and I've had for over 5 years. it's actually my second XJ, I had a 93 with many miles that was very reliable too. I thought about a last generation SL but want something no older than 2004. I'll probably go with with the XK because:

1) It will be newer than the SL

2) I like the looks more, don't get me wrong the SL is a sexy car but did you see how wide the tires are on the new XKs?
CLK Operator is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:49 PM
~BANNED~
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Location: FL
Posts: 4,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a good reason why a 2 year old car that cost $100 grand now goes for just 35% of its original value. I've driven two of these XK's. They are great to look at, but nothing too amazing to drive. The inteior is made of low quality materials and the electronics are something straight out of the 1990's. The climate/radio/nav kind of reminded me of a 1995 version of iDrive. Nav graphics from a PS1. The stock stereo system was no better then a Hyundai Accent and the volume wouldn't go above a whisper. I guess they didn't expect you drive with the top down and listen to the radio. The front seats lacked any major adjustment, leaving tall drivers, like myself out of luck. Worst of all the electronics and sensors fail on a constant basis and this a yet another true 'shop car' at $125/hour.

BUT, if you seem to think mid 90's XJ's are reliable (because they are not), then this may be a good match for you. 2 of your reliabilty examples do not create a statistic. The other 99.98% of owners don't fallow your luck.

I wouldn't limit myself to just 2004 and above. It should be about the car, not the model year. Just because Mercedes made a poor 04 model doesn't mean you need to go by a Jag. Just get the solid 02!
mr.xpowerseller is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
garybc230's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far it looks like you will be the one to buy the Jag, the forum says stick with the SL. No doubt the Jag is newer, but the SL is a much much more classy ride. From a look at me perspective, the SL will always get parked up front. No offense but just ask some valet attendents which one would they park in front. Good luck and whichever vehicle you purchase know that you have to be happy.

Currently Drive:
06 SL500 Pewter w/Berry Red interior Sprint Booster
06 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium Red w/black & beige interior
garybc230 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
There's a good reason why a 2 year old car that cost $100 grand now goes for just 35% of its original value. I've driven two of these XK's. They are great to look at, but nothing too amazing to drive. The inteior is made of low quality materials and the electronics are something straight out of the 1990's. The climate/radio/nav kind of reminded me of a 1995 version of iDrive. Nav graphics from a PS1. The stock stereo system was no better then a Hyundai Accent and the volume wouldn't go above a whisper. I guess they didn't expect you drive with the top down and listen to the radio. The front seats lacked any major adjustment, leaving tall drivers, like myself out of luck. Worst of all the electronics and sensors fail on a constant basis and this a yet another true 'shop car' at $125/hour.

BUT, if you seem to think mid 90's XJ's are reliable (because they are not), then this may be a good match for you. 2 of your reliabilty examples do not create a statistic. The other 99.98% of owners don't fallow your luck.

I wouldn't limit myself to just 2004 and above. It should be about the car, not the model year. Just because Mercedes made a poor 04 model doesn't mean you need to go by a Jag. Just get the solid 02!
While I do appreciate your input I have to respectfully disagree. It is well known within the Jag fan world that the 95-97 XJ6 is the most reliable Jaguar ever built. Obviously you can not compare a car like this to the reliablity of a Corrolla or Civic. But compared to W140 S class and E38 7 series these cars have less weak spots and are less expensive to repair. The most major repairs I did to my 97 was the cats and the A/C condenser. That sure beats replacing an evaporator on a W140. It is not uncommon to see 88-97 Jags with over 300K on the clock still running strong, the motors are bullet proof.
CLK Operator is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
DirectLA's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1962 W111 220SE Coupe
Location: Cloud City, OR
Posts: 2,289
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I love and have owned a couple Jags tho much older than yours and the one you're considering. Congrats on getting good ones, I wasn't so lucky but know several people who have never had any real issues with their Jags. I think the Jag will definitely have more road presence and is much rarer to see on the street, but you might also want to consider the top, does it matter to you if it's a soft top or a hardtop as on the SL? Also, I think the interior of the XK is dated as compared to the SL which still holds up well. It's a tough call, I actually love the coupe XK more so to me I'd take that in a heartbeat, but you may be best just driving both cars back to back and let your emotions decide for you. The only surefire way to not regret your purchase.

-Marrs

The Coupe Group (W111/112 coupes and cabs)official website
The Coupe Group on Facebook


"Too many people are working at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't particularly want, to impress people they don't even care about." --Dr. Deepak Chopra
DirectLA is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Apr 2008
Posts: 359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectLA View Post
I love and have owned a couple Jags tho much older than yours and the one you're considering. Congrats on getting good ones, I wasn't so lucky but know several people who have never had any real issues with their Jags. I think the Jag will definitely have more road presence and is much rarer to see on the street, but you might also want to consider the top, does it matter to you if it's a soft top or a hardtop as on the SL? Also, I think the interior of the XK is dated as compared to the SL which still holds up well. It's a tough call, I actually love the coupe XK more so to me I'd take that in a heartbeat, but you may be best just driving both cars back to back and let your emotions decide for you. The only surefire way to not regret your purchase.
I agree that I like the SL interior more. As far as the top it really does not matter since the car will be garage kept and never driven in rain or snow.
CLK Operator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    R230 SL500 parts.......... labreejr For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway 38 11-02-2011 08:55 AM
    2008 g500 vs. 2007 Jaguar XK ADDREDHEAD7 G-Class 95 08-02-2011 09:25 PM
    SL500 R230 HELP WITH MODS!! noxredna R230 SL-Class 5 07-12-2009 08:46 AM
    Right Rear SL500 03-05 R230 F/S Steven For Sale/Wanted/Trade/Giveaway 1 01-11-2009 11:51 PM
    Exhaust R230 SL500 sirrone R230 SL-Class 4 09-03-2006 10:22 AM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome