No oil check option - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 10:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Diesel Benz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Location: Europe
Posts: 10,342
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
I don't think that it is a problem with your cluster. Do you know about this procedure for M-B without dipstick?
This is a good advice but this method is not intended to be used by an ordinary driver/owner to check the oil level. If he really cannot get the "check oil level" menu from the IC computer (without going to the service menu) and if the car does not have a dipstick, then there appears to be an issue with the cluster.
Diesel Benz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
keyhole's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Location: Norfolk. UK
Posts: 10,689
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
This is a good advice but this method is not intended to be used by an ordinary driver/owner to check the oil level.
Whyever not? It's only a few actions to remember, and it takes even less time than lifting the hood and wiping a dipstick.

Quote:
If he really cannot get the "check oil level" menu from the IC computer (without going to the service menu) and if the car does not have a dipstick, then there appears to be an issue with the cluster.
In that case, my cluster is also not working...as that is the only procedure I know to read the oil level from inside the car. Of course you can always buy a dipstick from M-B, as I did before I discovered the above trick.
keyhole is online now  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Outstanding Contributor
 
keyhole's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Location: Norfolk. UK
Posts: 10,689
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Further thoughts on this topic.

I am convinced that the reason that MB discarded the engine oil dipstick (although it has been reinstated on most recent models after complaints from the techs*) is that the typical MB owner is not expected to physically check oil levels. All the other liquid levels that need to be checked are readily visible by opening the hood.

That's why a sophisticated oil level monitoring system was included to advise the driver at the cluster when the level has dropped enough for oil to be added. The message even advises the quantity of oil to add.

* why did the techs complain? How else can they readily check if coolant has mixed with the oil, as in a head gasket problem? It shows up instantly on a dipstick.
keyhole is online now  
 
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
Diesel Benz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Location: Europe
Posts: 10,342
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
In that case, my cluster is also not working...as that is the only procedure I know to read the oil level from inside the car. Of course you can always buy a dipstick from M-B, as I did before I discovered the above trick.
I believe one of the first replies explained that on a W211 that has no engine oil dipstick would have a menu at the cluster to read the engine oil level. This is a standard menu intended for ordinary drivers, not the service menu you are using.

If you do not have a dipstick and if you do not have the "ordinary menu", your cluster is not working properly.

Seriously, what does your user manual explain? Are you referring to the CLK or a W211 like here? I'm not saying your method would be bad or wrong except that an ordinary driver may confuse service items at the service menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	W211 320CDI engine oil.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	252462  
Diesel Benz is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Outstanding Contributor
 
keyhole's Avatar
 
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2004 CLK 240 Coupe
Location: Norfolk. UK
Posts: 10,689
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
I believe one of the first replies explained that on a W211 that has no engine oil dipstick would have a menu at the cluster to read the engine oil level. This is a standard menu intended for ordinary drivers, not the service menu you are using.

If you do not have a dipstick and if you do not have the "ordinary menu", your cluster is not working properly.

Seriously, what does your user manual explain? Are you referring to the CLK or a W211 like here? I'm not saying your method would be bad or wrong except that an ordinary driver may confuse service items at the service menu.

DB - you are right. I do have that page (or something very similar) in the OM for my CLK, and it does work as defined above. However, I have always regarded that display as a sub-set of the service display menu which only gives a good/bad reading of oil level without an actual reading - as per dipstick.

The OP stated that he was looking for an oil level readout by tabbing around the standard display menus using the steering wheel buttons. That's why he cannot find it. The information you supplied above is not in that section of the manual. In my OM Index it is listed under: Engine oil - Checking the level.;

I'll bet if he follows the instructions you provided, he will get the right result.
keyhole is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
E320 CDI 2000 reg, check oil warning dispalyed while driving, oil seems ok? jeff321 W210 E-Class 8 07-06-2009 03:36 PM
W126 300SE option code check tum300sd W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class 2 07-25-2008 12:37 AM
VIN option check? afnan740 W140 S-Class 21 03-24-2008 03:09 PM
Check engine electronics, Check oil level.+ others bondale W210 E-Class 5 11-10-2006 12:02 AM
Check out the new "poll" option: What yr model do you have??? MHPHOCKEY W163 M-Class 2 12-06-2003 04:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome