fqb
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Benz owner, drives great, have a few questions:

Hi everyone,

first off thanks to the forum, based on all the info here we decided a Mercedes is right for us and ruled out our other options.
In the end we bought a 1999 E-class 4matic station wagon. We wanted a 1999 due to the better reliability rating this one gets on consumerreports but also wanted ESP, and thats what we found. High miles (183k) but in cosmetically excellent hsape, and so far in great mechanical shape too, but we shall see. At least this way we have money left for repairs. I am a DIY guy, with my history with Volkswagen campers and putting Subaru engines into those, so I hope I will be able to wrench on the Mercedes when it becomes necessary.
So while its running good, I would like to address the smaller issues. Some things I already read up in the archives, if I still ask questions that are commonly asked, apologies in advance, and a link to an existing thread would be greatly appreciated.

Lights:
-as all of these they need to be polished which I read up on, but maybe since these are xenon ones they have chrome rings that are flaking off. Can I just pull the chrome rings off? really dont need the chrome look.

Audio/phone:
-cd player is not really finding discs, but I would anyway prefer to do some sort of line-in for ipod/slacker. Would like to keep stock stereo, where can I hack in? Isee it has a tape button, is there a free connection accessible?
-phone: came with the original benz labeled motorola phone. are there adapters for modern day phones available?

Climate control:
-works great, except sometimes the fan does not work. cured by shutting the car off and restarting. common disease?

sunroof:
-dealer claimed it works, but said the day before pickup it did bind a little and he had to push it a bit. so I want to be armed with knowledge and good whether when trying it. I suppose grease the tracks first?

seat covers, floor mats:
-would like to get rear seat covers (dog, kid) is there a recommended best brand? same for floor mats.

thanks so much everyone
flo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
fqb
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
(Thread Starter)
I forgot the nearly most important question - which repair manuals can I get? I see there is no Haynes available for the w210, my usual staple....
thanks
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 01:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1983 300D Turbo Diesel
Send a message via Yahoo to GogglesPisano764
Welcome to Benzworld! Youll get a faster repsonse if you post your question in the w210 section of the forums! Enjoy and learn like all of us!

Yes Honey! Thats how they sound! Its a diesel!
MBCA Member
1983 300D "Schultz" (Relocated to Canada)
1983 300D "Klaudia" (My new love)
1985 300D (Whipped then Stripped)
1985 300SD (In way over my head and let go)
2002 Suburban Z71 (Eats gas stations during trips)
2004 Aveo (Only because I enjoy stuffing my fat ass in a tiny car. Oh and it gets good gas mileage)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in