BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: CLK350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to NELLA
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy NEED HELP!! CLK350

I purchased a Certified PreOwned 2006 CLK350 about 7 months ago and I've been having electrical issues with Easy Entry/Memory Seats, Radio issues (radio on..however NO sound coming out. Switch to CD and it show that it's playing, but no sound coming out) It would go on and off with no particular pattern. I brought it to the service department a few times, however they could not recreate the problem. Then finally, I was in the area when the radio was not working and I brought it in and they ended up replacing the AMP.. I got it back and it worked for a few days and than it happened again. Brought it back in.. they changed the 6DISK CHANGER.. Had the car for a day and than I started having issue with Easy Entry/Memory seats (on going issue). It would not memorize my seat/wheel memory. One day it would work fine, next it wouldnt. It's been in the shop about 5 times for this issue. They have replaced a seat module..TWICE.. and it's back in the shop again. It is so aggrevating because my seat would go all the way back.. but my steering wheel would go down -- or they would both get "stuck" in the same position.

I am so dissapointed at the Service department. They are so rude and make me feel as if I am doing something wrong. I cant seem to get passed the Service Advisor. Service manager is always away .. and his replacement is clueless! I'm not sure what to do! My car has been there for a week and a half so far.. went today to get an update (since no one calls me) and spoke to the shop foreman who told me that they're replacing the seat module..AGAIN! Pretty much he said they could not figure out what the problem is because they cannot recreate it every time. (even though I brought it there with the problem).

Not sure if radio/sound issue has anything to do with easy entry/memory seats.. but it is so frusterating!

I'd appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 04:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose and fix but it should not be that difficult. I doubt the audio and seat issues are related.

You should ask them to provide the full diagnosis print for analysis by experts here, the shop would most likely get accurate guidance to fix the issues. Unfortunately they may not want to give you all the diagnosis info.

Can you find out which seat control unit part number are they using and did the shop update the SW? Did they update the SW for the sound amplifier? Does the car have Tele-Aid or a phone kit and are those working fine?

The audio issue must be either one device on the MOST ring or some connectors not properly seated.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose and fix but it should not be that difficult. I doubt the audio and seat issues are related.

You should ask them to provide the full diagnosis print for analysis by experts here, the shop would most likely get accurate guidance to fix the issues. Unfortunately they may not want to give you all the diagnosis info.

Can you find out which seat control unit part number are they using and did the shop update the SW? Did they update the SW for the sound amplifier? Does the car have Tele-Aid or a phone kit and are those working fine?

The audio issue must be either one device on the MOST ring or some connectors not properly seated.
DB, I am going to the dealer later today to pick up my car and I will ask them to provide me with the full diagnosis print -- and something tells me I will get my hands on that! Also, I will find out which seat control part number they're using and if they updated SW and will post back!

Now that you mentioned something regarding the Tele-AId and the phone...(never triend using the phone) however, did try using tele-aid and it was not working..hmm! Do you think all of these issues are related somehow?

Appreciate your help!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:01 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 03 E320 4M Wagon & 97 E320
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Plus one on the above. They should not be throwing parts/modules like that.

IMHO, there is something in your Interior CAN BUS that is acting up. Sometimes, a problem in one module can cause strange symptoms in functions controlled by unrelated modules.

They should be able to scan for codes.

Try to disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes or so, and then reconnect. Make sure you have the radio code and then re-synch everything following your owner's manual after battery disconnect/replacement. Sometimes, all these modules need a alt-ctrl-delete. This may work for a while but eventually the symptoms will come back if a module is failing.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubapache View Post
Plus one on the above. They should not be throwing parts/modules like that.

IMHO, there is something in your Interior CAN BUS that is acting up. Sometimes, a problem in one module can cause strange symptoms in functions controlled by unrelated modules.

They should be able to scan for codes.

Try to disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes or so, and then reconnect. Make sure you have the radio code and then re-synch everything following your owner's manual after battery disconnect/replacement. Sometimes, all these modules need a alt-ctrl-delete. This may work for a while but eventually the symptoms will come back if a module is failing.
Yeah, they replaced my control seat module 2 times.. actually it will be third time now(when i pick it up today) -- and when I ask them if that's what the problem is.. they say "Not positevely sure" or their best line so far is "We cannot recreate the problem!" But somehow, EVERY time I get the car back, I can recreate it in no time! As a matter of fact, last time I took my car in for that issue .. they called me back to pick it up ..and as I got in the vehicle to leave the service department, to my surprise.. it was NOT working! Didnt even get a chance to drive off!! You kidding me?

They told me they reset the codes a few times too.

I am just at a loss of what to say to them anymore! My patience with their ignorance and rudeness has slowly tampered off and I might have to start throwing ninja moves at them! ha ha
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:19 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NELLA View Post
Yeah, they replaced my control seat module 2 times.. actually it will be third time now(when i pick it up today) -- and when I ask them if that's what the problem is.. they say "Not positevely sure" or their best line so far is "We cannot recreate the problem!" But somehow, EVERY time I get the car back, I can recreate it in no time! As a matter of fact, last time I took my car in for that issue .. they called me back to pick it up ..and as I got in the vehicle to leave the service department, to my surprise.. it was NOT working! Didnt even get a chance to drive off!! You kidding me?

They told me they reset the codes a few times too.

I am just at a loss of what to say to them anymore! My patience with their ignorance and rudeness has slowly tampered off and I might have to start throwing ninja moves at them! ha ha
You may want to find a different dealer (if possible) or take it under your own control.

I am not familiar with your particular model but all these cars have a (central) connector for all the modules CAN BUS connections (two wire plugs). The system is designed in such a way that if the offending one is unplugged from the central connector, the rest of the functions will be fine. Another step further is that each of these two wires (H and L) have specific active and dormant voltage readings. If something is acting up in the CAN BUS, the voltages will oscillate and go nuts. When the offending module is unplugged, then the voltage reading will be normal.

I suggest you get a hold of some factory documents and go from there.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
You may want to find a different dealer (if possible) or take it under your own control.

I am not familiar with your particular model but all these cars have a (central) connector for all the modules CAN BUS connections (two wire plugs). The system is designed in such a way that if the offending one is unplugged from the central connector, the rest of the functions will be fine. Another step further is that each of these two wires (H and L) have specific active and dormant voltage readings. If something is acting up in the CAN BUS, the voltages will oscillate and go nuts. When the offending module is unplugged, then the voltage reading will be normal.

I suggest you get a hold of some factory documents and go from there.
well, getting ready to go pick up the car. Service advisor told me on the phone that they replaced seat switch, door control module..and something else. I'll make sure i get a full list of everything they've done lol...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
well, getting ready to go pick up the car. Service advisor told me on the phone that they replaced seat switch, door control module..and something else. I'll make sure i get a full list of everything they've done lol...
They are replacing to many modules.

Chances are that there is only one that is going bad. So eventually they will get to it once they replace them all.

Mercedes has detailed training materials instructing dealers how to trouble shoot these modules. Sigh.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
They are replacing to many modules.

Chances are that there is only one that is going bad. So eventually they will get to it once they replace them all.

Mercedes has detailed training materials instructing dealers how to trouble shoot these modules. Sigh.
yeah i know.. i am pretty frusterated with them. Anything I should say to them? lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
yeah i know.. i am pretty frusterated with them. Anything I should say to them? lol
At least ask them to provide the scanned codes every time (get a printout). What they should do is to clear them all and then wait for whatever comes back.

Many of these things are interconnected so they cannot trouble shoot the same way as cars 20 years ago. Just as one example, say you cannot open one of the rear windows. Well, the problem may not be the door control module for that window because all the CAN signals have to go thought the left-front control module fist so that one could be bad. The switch to open that rear window has no direct connection to the actual motor that does the opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in