Mercedes-Benz dealership and older Benz repair? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1988 300E - Diamond Blue, 1997 SL320 - Black Opal
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Agree with GermanStar on this one. Fully dependent upon the dealer.

In Calgary, AB there are 2 MB dealers. 1 sucks - neither me nor my car seemed to fit their demographics (young, new cars, urban). The other seemed great and more than willing to help - they have been an MB dealer for over 30 years now and likely used to more of us no or grey hairs!

I hear some similar stories out of Edmonton, AB - 1 dealer great, 1 not so great.

Some dealers may not want the older car repair business as it might not be as easy as letting the computer diagnose the problem. Also, in their parts department they've invested in the parts and only make money on parts when the part leaves the shelf - parts for newer cars will leave more quickly than the part for an older car.

Just my too canadian sense.

jb

John Bulmer, P. Eng.
Medicine Hat, Alberta

1968 Triumph GT6
1980 Porsche 911SC
1988 300E
1997 SL320
1994 GMC K2500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Classic 92 190E 2.6
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
The question should be why would you want to bring an older car to a dealer? At at least $125/hour, plus a steep mark-up on parts/fluids, its no deal by any means. Find a shop with an ex-dealer service mechanic who was working at the dealer in the 80's/90's and now works on his own. They are the cheapest and actually know how to work on your car.
The above is obvious. The key words in the original post were "I am just curious...actually know what they are doing".
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBulmer View Post
Agree with GermanStar on this one. Fully dependent upon the dealer.

In Calgary, AB there are 2 MB dealers. 1 sucks - neither me nor my car seemed to fit their demographics (young, new cars, urban). The other seemed great and more than willing to help - they have been an MB dealer for over 30 years now and likely used to more of us no or grey hairs!

I hear some similar stories out of Edmonton, AB - 1 dealer great, 1 not so great.

Some dealers may not want the older car repair business as it might not be as easy as letting the computer diagnose the problem. Also, in their parts department they've invested in the parts and only make money on parts when the part leaves the shelf - parts for newer cars will leave more quickly than the part for an older car.

Just my too canadian sense.

jb
That's the thing a lotta folks don't realize. There are dealers out there that hunt the aftermarket and salvage yards for parts (we sell to many MB dealers), allow owners to bring in their own parts, and charge under $100/hour labor. There are also dealers out there that have techs they've employed for 30 years. Now granted, all this may not be the norm, but they are out there...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
That's the thing a lotta folks don't realize. There are dealers out there that hunt the aftermarket and salvage yards for parts (we sell to many MB dealers), allow owners to bring in their own parts, and charge under $100/hour labor. There are also dealers out there that have techs they've employed for 30 years. Now granted, all this may not be the norm, but they are out there...
There are no authorized new car Mercedes Benz dealers that will "hunt salvage yards for parts" or sell you "aftermarket parts" or allow you to bring in your own parts, IF Mercedes Benz sells the part either: A. Brand New or B. Refurbished. New car dealers are bound by their contract with Mercedes Benz North America not to undercut their genuine parts. If a dealer is doing this under-the-table, that is grounds for termination of the new car contract. IF MBUSA doesn't sell the product, then the dealer is free to sell what ever aftermarket part they wish. I've been to quite a few Merc dealers and I can't say I've ever seen a shop rate at less than $115/hour. There might be one or two left in some remote area, so it is possible but would be less than 1%.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
There are no authorized new car Mercedes Benz dealers that will "hunt salvage yards for parts" or sell you "aftermarket parts" or allow you to bring in your own parts, IF Mercedes Benz sells the part either: A. Brand New or B. Refurbished. New car dealers are bound by their contract with Mercedes Benz North America not to undercut their genuine parts.
I highly doubt you've ever seen a Mercedes dealer franchise agreement.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
There are no authorized new car Mercedes Benz dealers that will "hunt salvage yards for parts" or sell you "aftermarket parts" or allow you to bring in your own parts, IF Mercedes Benz sells the part either: A. Brand New or B. Refurbished. New car dealers are bound by their contract with Mercedes Benz North America not to undercut their genuine parts. If a dealer is doing this under-the-table, that is grounds for termination of the new car contract. IF MBUSA doesn't sell the product, then the dealer is free to sell what ever aftermarket part they wish. I've been to quite a few Merc dealers and I can't say I've ever seen a shop rate at less than $115/hour. There might be one or two left in some remote area, so it is possible but would be less than 1%.
You know as much about the Mercedes parts business as I know of proctology, assuming that is your field of expertise. We have an MB dealership customer list as long as my arm. I know who they are and I know what they buy and why. I also know what I did and did not do during my 10 years managing a parts department of one of the largest Mercedes dealers in the country.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:37 AM
~BANNED~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar View Post
You know as much about the Mercedes parts business as I know of proctology, assuming that is your field of expertise. We have an MB dealership customer list as long as my arm. I know who they are and I know what they buy and why. I also know what I did and did not do during my 10 years managing a parts department of one of the largest Mercedes dealers in the country.
What are these dealers buying from you? Genuine parts? Aftermarket parts for things that Merc doesn't make?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

95% of it is parts that we can supply at a much lower cost than the dealer network can provide. The remaining 5% or so is parts that are NLA. Almost all of it is reman stuff (fuel distributors, ACC servos, transmissions, control units, w/u regulators, throttle actuators, etc.), though many of these dealers also comb salvage yards for used parts. The idea is to compete with local independents. I'll grant that these are the exceptions, but there are plenty of them out there.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 PM
~BANNED~

So they are buying reman stuff from you. Nothing wrong with that. That is exactly what I said. I'd really like to know which authorized new MB dealer will comb a salvage yard for a part. I can't see anyone (who is legit) doing that. That then means that they must stand behind the part against failure. Do I know of non-legit shady dealers who have done this? Yes. Selling a used salvage part as new and throwing it on the car, is done by some dealers until the manufacturer catches them.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Quote:
So they are buying reman stuff from you. Nothing wrong with that. That is exactly what I said. I'd really like to know which authorized new MB dealer will comb a salvage yard for a part. I can't see anyone (who is legit) doing that. That then means that they must stand behind the part against failure. Do I know of non-legit shady dealers who have done this? Yes. Selling a used salvage part as new and throwing it on the car, is done by some dealers until the manufacturer catches them.
No, it's nothing like what you said. Same part, reman from MBUSA, reman from German Star, different rebuilder, different price. They are stepping out of the dealer network based upon cost. Sometimes, they even have their customer call us to purchase direct. And no one is talking about selling a salvage part as new. These service departments are operating like indies for non-warranty work. In my eye, that makes them the good guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in