LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1988 420SEL It Won't Start

I parked my 420 SEL for a year. Went to start it today with no luck. It turns over but will not run. The Fuel pump wasn't coming on so I by passed the pump relay and got the pump to purring but it still wont fire up unless I put gas in the manifold. Its got new gas in it. HELP! Ron C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 230 1986 560SL 2008 Honda CRV
Welcome to Benzworld
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the Welcome

It's quiet on this forum. If you put a question on the V Twin Forum you get a reply by the time you can press Submit!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:29 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1983 300D Turbo Diesel
Send a message via Yahoo to GogglesPisano764
Welcome to Benzworld!

Yes Honey! Thats how they sound! Its a diesel!
MBCA Member
1983 300D "Schultz" (Relocated to Canada)
1983 300D "Klaudia" (My new love)
1985 300D (Whipped then Stripped)
1985 300SD (In way over my head and let go)
2002 Suburban Z71 (Eats gas stations during trips)
2004 Aveo (Only because I enjoy stuffing my fat ass in a tiny car. Oh and it gets good gas mileage)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Oct 2009
420 fuel pump fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C View Post
I parked my 420 SEL for a year. Went to start it today with no luck. It turns over but will not run. The Fuel pump wasn't coming on so I by passed the pump relay and got the pump to purring but it still wont fire up unless I put gas in the manifold. Its got new gas in it. HELP! Ron C

fix: 2 red wires are attached to the positive battery clamp via a special bolt. They run the s-class fuel pumps and the bolt must be spotlessly clean and tight or you will many fuel pump no start issues. always clean it ever 6 months€. If you dont have an original battery cable connector then buy one. they are 2 small red wires, alone together in wiring harness, they cause many people lots of wasted time replacing w-126 fuel pumps, filters, relays. its just those 2 wires. worst case-hook wires from rear taillights to fuel pumps to get the car home.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontana420 View Post
fix: 2 red wires are attached to the positive battery clamp via a special bolt. They run the s-class fuel pumps and the bolt must be spotlessly clean and tight or you will many fuel pump no start issues. always clean it ever 6 months€. If you dont have an original battery cable connector then buy one. they are 2 small red wires, alone together in wiring harness, they cause many people lots of wasted time replacing w-126 fuel pumps, filters, relays. its just those 2 wires. worst case-hook wires from rear taillights to fuel pumps to get the car home.
Thanks for the Info But it still will not run. I can hear the pump running but no gas in the line. What next Boss?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Wink

Quote:
Thanks for the Info But it still will not run. I can hear the pump running but no gas in the line. What next Boss?
I would disconnect both metal fuel lines from the fuel pump regulator on top on the motor on the drivers side of the bosch fuel distributor. Put them in containers to catch the gas. Then put a small amount of starter fluid in the air horn meter throat. Then crank the motor to get the engine sputtering and the low RPMs will activate the pumps, hopefully putting out some gas. It might take a while and a few trys to get gas out of the line. Re-connect, clean the air venturi and move the air horn meter valve down & up to hopefully free the internal linkage allowing gas to be injected. You could be hearing just 1 fuel pump, not 2 of them.....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontana420 View Post
I would disconnect both metal fuel lines from the fuel pump regulator on top on the motor on the drivers side of the bosch fuel distributor. Put them in containers to catch the gas. Then put a small amount of starter fluid in the air horn meter throat. Then crank the motor to get the engine sputtering and the low RPMs will activate the pumps, hopefully putting out some gas. It might take a while and a few trys to get gas out of the line. Re-connect, clean the air venturi and move the air horn meter valve down & up to hopefully free the internal linkage allowing gas to be injected. You could be hearing just 1 fuel pump, not 2 of them.....
There is no fuel at the engine. One line is clear and the other seems to have an obstruction but it may have a check valve. Iv'e held my hand on each pump and they seem to be running.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
There is no fuel at the engine. One line is clear and the other seems to have an obstruction but it may have a check valve. Iv'e held my hand on each pump and they seem to be running.
One line is fuel to the motor. The other is a return line. The fuel pumps have check valves. I would remove both fuel pumps off the car, place on the ground, use a car battery to check and see if they are running and if they will pump fluid (be careful if you use gas). maybe you can hook a preassure gauge to them and check resistance across the terminals. You might want to try a light oil, gas mixed with oil or "stabil" gas storage product to keep it less flamable. If the pumps do work then its your wiring harness to them or the bosch fuel distributor. I would reinstall the pumps, jumper them off a battery (not the car's wiring harness) and see if it starts. Use starter fliud to get the car up to RPM as the fuel pumps shut off after 15 seconds on some cars if the rpms are not over "idle speed".

If the car doesn't start with good pumps it could be the fuel distributor or the electrical devices hooked to the bosch fuel distributor. Also clean all sensor connections on the front of the motor near thermostat houseing. Does the COLD START valve put out gas? Disconnect it ahd put it over a container and see if its working - thats a sign of good fuel pumps. Do that first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in