BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mercedes Benz of Florida
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes Saved my life

Below was in the daily newspaper in China. I found it a fascinating read and insight. Just imagine yourself in the driver's shoes.
Just amazing.

Posted by Eric Mu, June 12, 2009 4:59 PM

As he attempted to slow his vehicle down for a red light, the truck driver realized that his brakes had failed. With every vehicle ahead of him decelerating, the hapless driver had no way to stop his truck without hitting someone.
The decision had to be made in the blink of an eye. Trying to avoid hitting an expensive Mercedes directly in front of him, the driver turned aside and ended up stuck between a bus and another truck.
Fortunately, no one on the bus was injured.
In an interview with the Chongqing Evening News, Mr. Xia, the driver, recounted his state of mind.

Wang: "My luck was really bad. First, the brakes went out, and then there was the red first response was that I had to stop the truck, at the same time minimizing the cost."
CEN: "How fast were you going?"
Wang: "All the vehicles ahead of me slowed down because of the red light. My truck wasn't very fast. But I had to make a decision immediately."
CEN: "Did you have any other options?"
Wang: "It was either drive straight ahead and hit the car right in front of me, or turn and wedge into the space between a bus and a truck. I chose the second option."
CEN: "There were lots of passengers on the bus. Weren't you concerned about their safety?"
Wang: "I had no time. I had to force the truck to stop to ensure my personal safety."
CEN: "You could have hit the Mercedes. That would have stopped your truck too."
Wang: "A Mercedes is too expensive. I wouldn't have been able to afford it even I sold my truck."

A government official commented at the end of the article:
It was situation in which one couldn't foresee the consequences of an accident. Between the many lives on the bus, and the money that he might need to pay for a damaged Mercedes, the driver chose the latter. What a chilling outcome. Isn't life worth more than a Mercedes?"

New York City, NY
Richmond County

United States of America
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2005 SL500, 2007 E550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope someone is that considerate of my expensive Mercedes when they're about to run into the back of it.

San Francisco Bay Area

2007 E550, P1, Sport
1996 SL320, ASR, Heated Seats, Xenons, CD Changer,

My Cars:
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: