BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1984 300D Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Software glitches in Comand system

Hi all

New member here, so I hope this hasn't been covered already. The 2009 GL320 Bluetec is my first MB and I'm still getting used to the "Mercedes way" of doing things. (Battery under the front seat, etc.)

So far everything is good except for some odd glitches in the COMAND system. Frequently the digital clock freezes, while the analog continues keeping perfect time. Pressing any button on the COMAND unit gets the clock going again, but I'm wondering if there's a software update or other fix to resolve this.

On the dash, the temperature gauge sometimes locks up too, at unrealistic temperatures. Today it was working fine until I had the car washed, then it stuck at 69 degrees for the rest of the day. Actual temperature was over 95 degrees. Even after two starts and several hours in the sun, the temp gauge stayed at 69. This happened on delivery day too, stuck at 70 degrees on a 100-degree day, but resolved itself after a few hours.

Yesterday, I started the car and the COMAND unit automatically linked to my Bluetooth phone as it is supposed to do. But then it started ringing with the message, "INCOMING CALL FROM UNKNOWN". But there was no call -- my phone was not ringing. The car wouldn't stop ringing even if I tried to answer the "call". If I pressed disconnect, I'd get another "call" a few seconds later. I finally resolved this one by shutting off my phone, so it may have been a phone-related glitch instead.

I love driving the car and expect to have it for many years, but I have to say I'm unimpressed with the complexity of the COMAND user interface, and software glitches are just inexcusable. Any suggestions for resolving these, or should I just go to the dealer and hope they have a software update?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 212.025 & 906.633
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Considering your phone problem, I would check if there was a SW update for it and if possible, I would try another phone. It really looks like a phone issue. But isn't BT HF integrated to Comand in your car, if the Comand unit is misbehaving, never know if this phone issue is another symptom.

The digital clock freezing (on the Comand?) sounds like a SW issue with the unit. But I tried to find out some previous knowledge about a similar issue and found nothing. Sounds like it was no known fault. You might get better replies from owners at the GL forum, hopefully here too. A SW update, if available, would be a good thing to start from.

A bit similar with the temperature gauge, I would try to take a photo of it malfunctioning and show it at the dealer. After all, everything in your car should work and should be fixed under warranty. Intermittent issues are just a bit difficult sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in