post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 2012 E350 Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm Just Fred

It was suggested that I post an introductory message, and wanting to be a "good citizen," here I go...

I'm a 57 year-old man who lives with his (younger!) wife in northern Virginia, USA. I have a nine year-old CLK430 that just turned 100,000 miles. It's not my first MB; that was a 1995 C280 which was the car that sold me on MB. I've also had an ML430, but that was a bit too much for my wife, so we "downgraded" to Jeep Liberty, which she drives and loves.

My CLK430 is getting up in years, and is now in need of some TLC. I'm considering selling/trading it in and getting a 2010 E-Class Coupe. I haven't decided, so I've joined this forum in the hopes of hearing others' opinions and experience on things CLK.

For instance, I know I need new tires, and the stock wheels are looking a bit tired and worn. I can't seem to find any specs to tell me if the standard wheel size is the same all the way around, and just the tires are staggered, or if I should buy a different size rear from the front. I also see a lot of messages about people moving to an 18" (or larger) rim from the stock 17". I don't know if I want to go that route or just get a fancier look and stay with the factory size.

My biggest gripe about my W208 (2000) CLK is the electrical system. I've been told that MB of that era suffered from having Chrysler components used as a result of the (now defunct) acquisition of the American auto maker. Every glitch and irritant I've had with the car since I took delivery of it (January 21, 2000) can be linked to the electrical system. Currently, my gripes with the car are:
  1. The engine "breaks down" when I stand on it. The "check engine" light comes on and the engine starts missing and shaking. This continues for days until it "resets" itself somehow.
  2. The sunroof will not close properly after I've opened it fully. Again, I have to reset it by a series of opening/closing operations.
  3. The rain-sensing wiper doesn't. I had it "repaired" at the dealer, but they didn't. I've been told they'll do it next time at no charge.
  4. The seats don't auto-move or -reset when I flip them to get into the back seat
  5. The in-trunk CD changer isn't working. I use an iPod and an FM transmitter, so this isn't really an issue. But it will hurt resale/trade-in value.
  6. The clock/gear setting display is whacked. The "leds" are not illuminating.
So now I have to decide if I want to spend a lot of money, not just to get the car "conditioned," but if I want to go for a brand-new E-Class Coupe, complete with warranty (and payments...).

That's it, my introduction. I don't know if I can add to the wealth of knowledge here, but if I can, I most certainly will.

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: